Planning to Upgrade from Jira 7.0.5 to 7.2 - any suggestions or advices ?

Vickey Lepcha August 25, 2016

Planning to Upgrade from Jira 7.0.5 to 7.2 -  any suggestions or advices ?

2 answers

1 vote
Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

I have been playing with an upgrade to 7.2 and the only problem I have found was that many of the plugins are yet to support 7.2.   Most of them only currently support 7.1.9

Good luck and please update with any problems or hurdles you run into.

Thanks,

Robert

Vickey Lepcha September 6, 2016

I hit the wall lol - with so many plugins not compatible , my instance didn't even start . I had to rename the directory installed_plugins to start the application. Not sure what do I do of the plugins now - reinstall or just revert back the whole upgrade.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

Me too, so I went and got with many of the vendors and most of them said this week they will have support, so I will be looking for them to come through.  

As far as my sandbox system I went in and disabled all the non compatible plugins then was able to get the system up. 

Side note they just release 7.2.1 yesterday, here are the fixes: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/JRA/versions/63206 

Vickey Lepcha September 7, 2016

Hey Robert ,

Not sure if this has happened to you - when I open the Boards post upgrade , the sizebar that we use to administer the boards seems to be inconsistent - the options there are replaced by some kind of patches cheeky

Capture.PNG

Atlassian shared with me a similar issue - but that was related to Service Desk and not JIRA Software

I am going bonkers lol - with issues getting resolved with a bounce and not knowing what actually is causing it.

But I am experiencing slowness in my environment - well it's a test environment and the linux resources are shared by other applications too , but was 7.2 meant to be about performance smile

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2016

Hi Vickey, good information thank you very much!   I have heard things on performance, but those were related to working on add-on development (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/40349345).  Where I see slowness is loading the kanban boards, and my sandbox server is standalone and only has me working on it, so that should be fast (even though it only has 2 procs instead of 8 and 1/2 the memory).  I am going to report this to Atlassian as a show stopper for us.

The rest of my plugins were promised by the end of the week.  At that time I will completely redo the upgrade from scratch and see. 

As far as the extra sidebar now called project settings (I wish they would not rename things as when getting/giving assistance to other users/admins it is good to be consistent about naming)  yes I saw that too, I think it is a feature; however I was able to shrink the part on the left 

image2016-9-8 8:50:28.png

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2016

Actually upon further review I noticed that the board I was seeing bad performance in had equally if not worse performance on the production server.  So though I do not believe 7.2 was anything about performance, I am seeing acceptable throughput.

Vickey Lepcha September 8, 2016

You would be surprised - but my people couldn't wait- I am downgrading it now. Well - one heck of an experience time for me . Had the DB guys backup the schema so will use the same and the filesystem backup at my end during upgrade.

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2016

Vickey,

Follow these standard practices.

• Perform upgrade on test environment
  • Check the compatibility of the add-ons on new version
  • Perform UAT with the users
  • Read the release notes for new improvements and features and educate the users
  • Take backup of files and database
  • Make a rollback plan
  • Write test cases to validate the data and configurations after upgrade 

-Ravi

Suggest an answer