Open link in new window

alassiter June 25, 2015

I have searched around and the answers I've read are that you can't open URLs in a new window?

This should be default. If I'm working in a project and the description has a URL to clarify the issue, I always want that link to open in a new tab. I don't understand why JIRA being as old as it is has chosen to continue to open links in the same window. 

At the very least there should be a setting that let's us choose. Whatever code is converting a URL into a link should be configured to add "_blank" to the link. We do it in our software.

JIRA is about managing the project, so why would I ever want to lose my project window in favor of a link?

1 answer

1 vote
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2015

Hello Anthony!

Actually, we have a Suggestion regarding this in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9380. I would recommend to you to cast a vote and add yourself as a watcher to be aware of any updates.

Unfortunately, today, this suggestion is not on the JIRA development roadmap

Cheers!
Teilor

Naveen Kumar D P October 30, 2017

Hello ,

It is possible, we have  to add the Jquery to announcement banner

i added the following query

and am able to get the external weblink  in a new window.

jQuery(document).ready(function() {
jQuery(".link-title").attr("target", "_blank");

Thanks

Naveen

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

Please don't do that - your users will despise you for opening a window on every click

The request for a new tab/window on *some* clicks is perfectly reasonable.  Having a new tab on everything, as this code does, is a disaster for users.

Suggest an answer