One Jira project (Product Team), two boards to track two separate applications development

MRC September 13, 2019

Hi,

Our team is going to work on two simultaneous applications (same development platform), so I created a second board to track PBI, Sprints, etc. separately for the second application for which we are about to start the work. Right now, second board is exact replica of the first one due to the same query. 

How do I distinguish these two boards (under the same project) such that each one is distinct from another (representing two separate actual project though under one Jira project)

Please let me know if you you need more info for further clarity.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2019

Hi @MRC

You'll need unique data points to filter on - such as adding Components, FixVersions (Releases) or Labels to your issues to distinguish them from one another.

I prefer to use Components or FixVersions - Labels are instance-wide and it can be easier to make mistakes than with FixVersions or Components which are set at a project-level by Project Admins.

Ste

MRC September 16, 2019

Thanks a lot, Ste. That is what I did on Friday after posting this question based on some suggestions given in some of threads here.  I used Component to segregate. 

I am taking the following approach

Default Board - left as it is. This will be a dump of all PBIs across other boards (kinda of Master PBI for this team)

Application 1 Board - for Application 1 with its own PBI, Active Sprints, etc

Application 2 Board - for Application 2 with its own PBI, Active Sprints, etc

I am not sure the repercussions on Reporting with this approach, but I will find out.

One question though, even after separating two applications using two boards with COMPONENT, I am seeing all PBIs in all boards from the Issues tab (PBI and Active Sprint tabs are working fine). Is that normal or do I need to update query there too to see only the PBIs belonging to that specific board?

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

Hi @MRC

That's normal - the Issues tab relates to the project rather than the board's filter.

Just be careful with having two boards with the same issues on it in regards to Rank.

Rank is attached to an issue, so if you have two boards both controlling the position on the backlog or in a column - moving it on one board will move it on the second and not necessarily into the same position given both have different filters.

I would advise only moving the rank on one of the two boards.

Ste

MRC September 16, 2019

Thanks again Ste!

The two boards I created are mutually exclusive based on the filtering criteria I used, so I should never have an issue (User Story, Task, or whatever the issue type is) in both boards as long it is created using Component (which is an optional field, so a User can forget to populated it). Even in that case, we can fix it quickly.

Mrc

Like Ste likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events