On premise Jira and Azure Devops - integration recommendations

melurinn August 24, 2022

I work on a team that has all code and builds in an on premise Azure Devops and all issues reported in an on premise Jira installation.

There seem to be a million ways available to integrate those two, so I am I am looking for advice on what would be the recommended path for that so we could see info on commits and builds in jira  cases and also the availability to create branches from Jira cases.

Bidirectional sync between jira cases and devops workitems is not a must but might be nice to have as well.

3 answers

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 20, 2022

@melurinn hello. If you're open to exploring external help on the integration, take a look at ZigiOps. It's a no-code integration solution. You can customize it to fit various use cases. It can connect Jira and Azure bi-directionally, allowing the easy transfer (issues, work items, cases) and syncing of data between the two. Feel free to explore it and if you think it might be beneficial for any similar future projects, you can book a demo to see it in action.

Regards, Diana (ZigiWave)

0 votes
Brad Peterson September 18, 2022

Hi @melurinn,

There are two approaches through which Commits and Builds information from ADO can be synchronized to a Jira issue:

• Without integrating Jira Issues to ADO:
  • Specify Jira issue ID in ADO commits and builds.
  • Integrate commit and build details as comments to associated Jira issue
  • Whenever there is an ADO commit or a build, the Jira issue will be updated with the details of the commit or build as a comment.
  • Integrate Jira Issues with ADO Work items:
  • Integrate Jira issues to ADO work items
  • Associate Commits and Builds to the ADO work item
  • Any changes on the ADO work item including commits and builds will be synchronized to the Jira issue.

An enterprise-class integration solution can support both of these approaches.

It is more robust to integrate work items from Jira to ADO as that will allow you to apply rules on commits and builds. To achieve end-to-end traceability between Project Planning, development, and deployment, bidirectional synchronization between ADO work items and Jira issues is the recommended approach.

To create branches from Jira cases, you can look for something like Scriptrunner Atlassian add-on and call create branch API from the script.  

OpsHub, an Atlassian partner, can help you integrate ADO commits and builds to Jira issues. Refer to Jira Integration with Azure DevOps documentation for more details.

Feel free to reach out to OpsHub’s Integration Experts for an initial free consultation on your integration planning.

Thanks,

Brad

0 votes
Jamie Esker _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2022

Hi @melurinn

You should check out TFS4JIRA - Azure DevOps integration

You can view your project or issue-associated Azure DevOps check-in/git commit logs directly in your on-premise Jira instance. Actions are categorized by distinct event tags for quick and simple reference.

All changes are initiated and documented in Jira, which includes all of the necessary information, discussion, and testing verification.

The TFS check-in add-on for Jira allows anyone to see both request and solution under one unified view in Jira.

We'd love to talk with you and show you how TFS4JIRA can work with your environment. You can book a demo with our support team.

Let me know if you have any additional questions I can help with!

Jamie

Suggest an answer