Not able to update the field "reporter" using rest api

Revati Pati December 27, 2018

I have a website that automatically creates jira issues. when i try to update the reporter using rest api, its giving me the below error.

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"reporter":"Field \'reporter\' cannot be set. It
is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."}}'

my payload is:

payload = {
"fields": {
"reporter":{
"name":args['reporter']
}
}

Here is my PUT request:

update_bug_response = requests.put(update_bug_URL, data=json.dumps(payload),headers=api_head,verify=False)

update_bug_URL = "https://MYURL/rest/api/2/issue/"+issue_key

api_head = { "Content-Type": "application/json", "Authorization": args['authString']}

do we have any solution for this other than "Modify Reporter" permission. please suggest me.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2018

Hello @Revati Pati

Make sure the field "reporter" is part of the "Edit screen" for the issue which you are trying to update. Apart from the modify reporter permissions, the field itself has to be part of the edit screen only then it can be updated.

Revati Pati December 27, 2018

@Tarun Sapra Thank you for the quick reply. 

I really don't know how to verify whether the given field is part of edit screen or not. Can you please tell how do we make sure a field is part of a screen?

Revati Pati December 28, 2018

@Tarun Sapra Oops..my mistake..i realized later that i dont have permission to edit the reporter field, i verified it manually on the JIRA board. Thanks a lot @Tarun Sapra for the help/clarification. 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2018

You are welcome @Revati Pati !

Like Revati Pati likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events