Need to share Dashboards - can't see global permissions etc.

Brenda Dobson May 18, 2021

I'm part of the P&C Team at Possability and we have JIRA. I've been asked to look into reporting and sharing dashboards for my team however I don't think my permissions are set correctly. I've tried to raise a ticket but it won't let me, I can't find a phone number to call, I contacted support but they've sent me to this avenue. My Manager has asked that I get assistance. Can you please help with my issue. I'm new to JIRA and couldn't find an answer in your system that helped. I can provide my phone number if it's easier to explain. Thanks, Brenda

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

I'm afraid this is something that needs to go back to your Jira administrators, we're a community of people here to talk (mostly) about Atlassian stuff, and while Jira is probably the thing we talk about the most, we are not your administrators, we have less access to and knowledge about, your Jira than you do.  It's only your admins who can change your configuration.

That said, there's some guidance you can give them if they try to refer you back here:

It sounds like you do not have the right permissions to do what you need to do. 

When you want to raise a new issue in a project, you need to have "create issue" permission for that project.  It is quite likely that your account needs adding to one or many groups or directly into roles in the projects that you need to create issues in (I've said "create issue" directly here, as it's in your question, but there are almost 30 other permissions.  Almost all admins will have set up a group or role that generally means "can do most stuff in a project", so that you only need to be added to one thing, and it'll grant a standard set of permissions in one go)

For sharing dashboards (and the saved filters that you will almost certainly be using to get data for your dashboards to display), you need the "global" permission to create shared objects.  

In both cases, you'll need admins to look at the project and global permissions, and probably change your account so it matches.   Project administrators may be able to add you into roles in the project(s), if your admins have set up your Jira to allow that, but the Jira admins are the ones who will be able to tell you if that's the right thing.

Brenda Dobson May 19, 2021

Thanks for your reply. I was directed here by using the customer support ticket initially. It'd be nice to be able to contact a help desk to discuss issues directly. It'd be great if they had a customer service number. Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer