Need help with JQL to identify qty of days in working

joeWeiss
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2019

I'm not trying to do anything novel.  I want to call out the quantity of days in progress for all of my issues.  

What am I doing wrong?  

days in progress.jpg

days in progress-2.jpgtime in status.jpg

The above is the 8 point story that shows being in progress for both 1 day and 2-days.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Your JQL here isn't always going to place your results uniquely into each of these labels necessarily.  This is because issues in Jira can be transitioned multiple times, hence they can match on more than one of those labels here. 

The JQL you have there is looking for a historical status change, but these issues can have multiple historical transitions to this working status.   So for example, if you had an issue that was transitioned to this working status 2 weeks ago, but then moved to another status at some point, only to be transition back to the working status today;  That issue would be returned by your JQL to match on issues for both the 'way too long' and the '1 day in progress' label you are creating here.

Given the nature of JQL, and it's designed to look for what issues match the parameters, I'm not sure there is a good way to use JQL to do what you want here.  There is no way to limit JQL to only return the most current historical status change for an issue at this time.  JQL is designed to return Jira issues.  Technically, it's doing that here.   I understand you want it to filter out by the most current transition, but I can't think of any way to make Jira's JQL do this here.

Instead I think you might find more value in using an add-on such as Time in status for Jira Cloud or Time in status (for Server/data center).  These can more accurately measure and display this time in a particular status for such issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events