Moving from Linux5 to Linux7

pawarsachin84 May 10, 2016

Hello Team,

Our team is moving from Linux5 to Linux7 we have installed our JIRA on Linux5. Wanted to know is there any checklist or precaution that I can take before this migration? Are there any changes that needs to be carried out from ourside (for JIRA application)?

Wanted to make sure that JIRA should work as it is on Linux7 after migration. Your suggestions and help will be appreciated! 

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Pawar

3 answers

0 votes
pawarsachin84 May 11, 2016

Hello Nic/Mike,

Thank you very much for your answers. Yes, I will get more details from my team and will let you know about it.

From current Linux server version to new Linux server version.

Meanwhile, is there any impact on JIRA application while Linux server migration?

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Pawar

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2016

I'm not sure what you mean by "impact".  It won't be running while you relocate it.  Other than that, all I can add would be an echo of what Mike already said about versions.

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Sachin,

I echo Nic's comments as I'm not sure which OS you're talking about. When you say Linux 5 and Linux 7, we don't know which it is that you're running; I'd GUESS that, based on the 5/7 question that you're running RedHat or CentOS.

That said, given that JIRA is a Java application it should run essentially anywhere Java will run with the monster caveat that you stick to the supported platforms as cited by Atlassian so that when Something Bad Happens you're not running some rogue environment.

I have moved my servers from Ubuntu to Windoze and now (thanks to IT vagaries and aluminum foil hat paranoia Windoze policies that make Server 2012R2 largely useless to me) to Debian 8. Other than having a rigorous test plan to validate the migration and doing the migration successfully 3 times in a row without a bobble of any kind before production migration, the platform realm is pretty broad.

Good luck

mike

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2016

As the latest version of Linux at the time of writing is 4.5.3, I'm afraid your question makes no sense.  Linux 5 and Linux 7 are meaningless as they don't exist yet.  You'll need to explain what you're actually using.

However, the best bet is to simply look at the supported platform documentation for JIRA.

Suggest an answer