Monitoring of Atlassian products performance

Pini Reznik June 9, 2011

Hello,

I'm looking for a good way to measure performance of Atlassian toots (Jira, Fisheye/Crucible, and Confluence).

I would like to measure both running production instance and test instance before upgrade or major reconfigurations.

Right now we're thinking to measure times of page loading , some SOAP requests and standard OS measurements like CPU, RAM disk speed etc.

Any suggestions for other types of measurements?

Thanks

11 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2011

I love JavaMelody for monitoring JIRA, Confluence, and Bamboo. It's a plugin that installs locally so you don't have to worry about configuring access to externally facing services like New Relic, Cloudkick, etc. It's powerful, open source, and easy to use!

More information available here: http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/

Pini Reznik June 16, 2011
JavaMalody is a really great tool. We installed it as plugins on our Jira and Confluence and configured it manually on Fisheye/Crucible. Manual configuration is almost as easy as a plug-in.
Sven [Dione Technology]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2015

the issue for me with Javamelody is : you are installing your monitoring on the system itself. "the observer can't be part of the experience"

5 votes
Elizabeth April 16, 2015

New Relic is great for monitoring Atlassian servers. AppFusions resells New Relic and provides low-cost supported plugins for New Relic and specifically for key performance metrics with JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, and Stash. See the following links for more details. 

Email info@appfusions.com for more info or questions. 

4 votes
Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2011

We are now using New Relic to monitor Confluence which gave a demonstration at last year's Atlassian Summit.

You place one of their 'agents' in your installation, it monitors from page load times down to the JVM level and everything in between (everything on your list I believe). We've been very impressed both the detail it provides and the aggregate reports which are needed to make sense of it all.

http://newrelic.com/

There are no doubt other solutions but this is both the easiest and best I've seen to cover all these bases.

3 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

I've used Jolokia for one large client which exposes the JMX metrics as REST endpoints, which makes it much easier to integrate with existing monitoring systems.

Jasen Sparacino June 13, 2016

Hey Matt, would you mind elaborating a little bit on what you did exactly? We are working on getting something set up as well using jolokia.

3 votes
Pini Reznik June 9, 2011

the problem with newrelic is that it has no local agent therefore it can only monitor sites avaliable on internet.

our jira is located behind the firewall and cannot be accessed by new relic.

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2011
Connections of the newrelic agent are outward (ie from JIRA towards the newrelic site). Also the instrumentation added in the jsp's are contacting the newrelic servers (and not the way around). I'm also pretty impressed with it.
Martin Jæger March 26, 2014

If you are looking for an on-premise solution, where you host everything your self on the "safe" side of the firewall, check out DynaTrace from compuware. They also do profiling of Java applications.

2 votes
Partha Kamal June 10, 2011
1 vote
Marcin Łosek May 29, 2012

Guys, do you have any idea how to install JavaMelody plugin in FishEye/Crucible?

Pini, You wrote that You made it, maybe You can help with that?

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

Yes Even i would like to know - how to setup javamelody for fisheye

Davet October 4, 2012

+1 for howto javamelody on fecru?

Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013
<!-- JavaMelody -->

<filter>
        <filter-name>monitoring</filter-name>
        <filter-class>net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter</filter-class>
    </filter>
    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>monitoring</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>
    <listener>
        <listener-class>net.bull.javamelody.SessionListener</listener-class>
    </listener>

0 votes
Ronnie Otts March 26, 2014

We are using FusionReactor to monitor our Jira and Confluence installs. It used to just be for ColdFusion server monitoring but the new version works for anything java. Gives us all the insight we need.(web stats, JVM memory, CPU, JDBC )

http://www.fusion-reactor.com/

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

I note JIRA 5.1 shows Database Connection Pool stats from within the app https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/JIRA+5.1+Release+Notes#JIRA5.1ReleaseNotes-enterprisescale

I assume there is no way to do the same from within Confluence 4.x.

We do have Hyperic connected to JMX, but unlike JIRA (which sufficiently exposes/advertises its management beans) that Hyperic sees them, I've been unable to get Confluence to show interesting metrics from MBeans such as DatabaseExampleLatency https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Live+Monitoring+Using+the+JMX+Interface

(I asked Atlassian in August 2012 about why JIRA can but Confluence can't advertise to Hyperic - https://support.atlassian.com/browse/CSP-86259 - but they say said they were unable to "provide proper assistance... as this involves a third party software")

Now, JConsole does see all these metrics for Confluence - hence I simply assume something different about how Confluence advertising its MBeans metrics to how JIRA does.

Naturally I'd rather collect and get alerts than have jconsole open all of the time. That way I can trend and be proactive about responding.

So:

1. Does anyone know of a way to get Hyperic to collect DatabaseExampleLatency, NumberOfRequestsInLastTenSeconds?

2. Is there something open source better than Hyperic?

3. I looked at the demo of javamelody, it didn't seem to offer to trend the MBeans

Atlassian used to recommend Hyperic, but are now silent on the matter. I recall them having endorsed NewRelic at Summit 2012, but there are ongoing per-server costs associated with that.

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2011

I've been enjoying OpenNMS. It's lightweight, hooks right into JMX (no client to install), lives outside of your atlassian app so it can measure anything exposed in JMX (you can poke around with jconsole). To monitor additional performance indicators, you can install a SNMP client on each host...I've got it monitoring disk space, TCP activity, CPU, and other good stuff. I do agree with the folks here that New Relic is easiest to setup if your internal policies allows this.

0 votes
Blake Burdeen _HTTP Factory_ June 11, 2011
Hyperic does a nice job of monitoring java server (and complete machine level) performance and can be entirely behind the firewall. There's an open source version as well.

Suggest an answer