Migrating JIRA, limitation due to licence?

Aurélien Chevron September 22, 2013

Hi,

We are in the process of migrating from an outsourced JIRA (managed by an other company) to our proper JIRA. I've already cleared the problem of importing only the projects that we use but i'm still having difficulties to understand how users are handled.

The old JIRA have a licence with a large number of users, in the contrary, our JIRA will be limited to 50 users. After the restore of backup, i suppose the system will create a lot of user that we don't need at all.

Does this situation will be a problem for us to access JIRA for clearing the database from theses users?

Does inactive users are in the count of the 50 users of our licence?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aurélien Chevron October 7, 2013

Hi there,

Juste a message to inform that we have perform our migration with success.

Users were created by the restore, licence was not a problem because JIRA have migrated our licence to the one in the backup.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2013

Glad to hear that it was successful :D

0 votes
Aurélien Chevron September 23, 2013

Thanks for your answers.

So it shouldn't be a problem for me to delete or set users inactive. Maybe the best will be to use an evaluation licence where there is no limit on users count before activating the real licence that limits us to 50 users. In that case I'll avoid the problem of having the system lock or whatever happens when exceeding the licence.

What do you think of this approach?

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2013

Hmm, that COULD work, but you would have to disable or remove the permissions of the extra users before re-inserting your 50-users license.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2013

Hi there,

As far as I know, JIRA only counts users that have the following permissions towads its license count :

• JIRA System Administrators
  • JIRA Administrators
  • JIRA Users

I also am not sure regarding how the import will handle the creation of the new users, whether or not they would be added into any of those groups or not, but if they are indeed added, and this causes your license count to be exceeded, you can either remove the mentioned permissions for those users, or you could always deactivate the user.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2013

A user only counts towards your licence count if they can log in.

You probably do want to import these non-users that you don't need because they may have issues assigned to them, or they reported them (and in later versions, commenting matters too). Jira needs the user accounts there to provide the user data or the fields and won't let you delete users it needs. But it doesn't care if they can log in.

I'm not sure how the import will handle creating new users though, I don't know if it will just import the users, or it will try to add them to the login groups as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events