Migrate users from JIRA (LDAP) to JIRA (Crowd - AD)

Miles Jordan July 24, 2011

I have JIRA authenticating users using LDAP to Active Directory.

Now I have installed Crowd because I want to be able to specify which Active Directory groups have access to each project.

If I import the JIRA users into Crowd it puts them in the local Crowd Directory, but I don't want this, I want to read from the Active Directory.

If I remove the users from JIRA then all their history, assigned issues, etc will be lost.

Please let me know how to map the existing JIRA users to Active Directory users via Crowd.

-Miles

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Miles Jordan July 31, 2011

Upgrading to 4.3.4 looks like it will suit my needs however having tried that my users are not being changed to Active Directory - they are going in as "JIRA Internal Directory" users.

I think this thread is answered now, so have opened another one with more detail about this new problem: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5080/upgrade-to-4-3-4-with-oracle

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2011

Miles, if the users have the same name in your AD then bringing them in from AD via Crowd into JIRA will not lose their issues and history etc.. JIRA is onyl looking at the user's username. So providing you keep the same then you should be ok. As far as I know anyway :)

Also, as Martin indicated, which version of JIRA are you referring to?

Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2011

Hi Colin..just an FYI - I have seen an older version of Crowd treat the same users in different directories as different JIRA users. When disable one of the directories the same user then logs into JIRA from the other Directory and has no issues or project access, even though Name identical. Agree it 'shouldn't' happen but not convinced it doesn't in all verisons of Crowd.

0 votes
Miles Jordan July 26, 2011
Thanks for all the answers. The version is 4.2 so it seems like I should upgrade just to be sure. All users except the admin user are AD users so looks like I won't need to do anything special. I won't be back in the office until monday so will see how I go and report back
Sri Deppthi July 17, 2012

We have got our users renamed in xml (from emaild to AD account),I have added a crowd user direcotry in Jira (with read/write crowd permission) and when user logged-in, we have all the issue mapped to user without fail.

The current challege we have is, users are not associated with groups. The internal directory users are with groups but not the crowd users.

Please help in fixing this

0 votes
Robert MOTA July 26, 2011

If before you had JIRA -> AD and now you want to use JIRA -> Crowd -> Same AD with the same user logins (but exactly with same cases), there is no problem.

If there are some users, created in Jira directly and if these logins are not in the AD, to preserve the history, you must create these logins in the AD, or in another LDAP added to the directories in Crowd, and set to the list of source directories for the JIRA application.

If there are some users in AD with the same login in the other LDAP and with some memberships to other groups in the other LDAP which are not present in the AD, you must use "Aliases" parameter in the source directories for the JIRA application. So jira will see the membership to the union of the two sets of groups associated of each directories.

0 votes
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2011

Hi Miles, which version of JIRA? JIRA 4.3.3 includes the crowd ldap stack, so may be easier upgrdaing JIRA to use that , than migrate to Crowd.

Suggest an answer