Mass delete of private filters and dahboards of inactive users

Renni Verho March 4, 2020

We found some private filters and dashboards from our system which are created by inactive users. 

Is there way to get those removed as mass from system as those are not needed anymore ? 

Cleaning one by one is way too slow and time consuming, so would be much easier to run delete/cleanup script. 

1 answer

1 vote
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2020

Hi @Renni Verho,

You can try use Script Runner plugin. Please see to Atlassian official documentation - Delete private filters and subscriptions in Jira server 

Cheers, Pavel 

Renni Verho March 5, 2020

That's one option to change all for me and then delete one by one, but I'm looking mass delete option as amount is quite high. 

-Renni

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2020

It seems that no such solution is yet possible. Today Atlassiani added this official comment:

Hi everyone,

In the last update, we shared that we’ll prioritize this suggestion for our longer-term roadmap.

After reviewing comments on this suggestion and getting context from the support cases, we have decided to provide an MVP solution. It will let you search through all filters and dashboards (including the private ones) and change their owners. It will also help us validate the longer-term approach to this feature. Please note that this procedure is not part of the Jira’s intended functionality, and the information is provided as-is.

In Jira Server 8.8, you can enable the dark feature that lets you edit private filters and dashboards:

1. Enable the dark feature flag com.atlassian.jira.privateEntitiesEditable.enabled by following these instructions.
  2. Go to the ‘Filters‘ or ‘Dashboards‘ administration screen.
  3. Click the cog next to an entity and select the ‘Change Owner‘ link.
  4. After you perform the update, the new owner will be able to edit the entity or share edit rights with others.

In the roadmapped project, we would like to allow admins to immediately edit private filters and dashboards, removing the intermediate step of changing their owner, improve the filtering abilities on the ‘Filters’ and ‘Dashboards’ screens and enable searching and modifying mail subscriptions.

Please share your feedback on this solution so that we can make better decisions when solving the underlying problem. You can leave a comment here or reach out to me directly at kderenda(at)atlassian.com.

You can download the 8.8 EAP version here.

Preparing for Jira 8.8 will give you an overview of the changes we intend to make in Jira 8.8.

Katarzyna Derenda
Product Manager, Jira Server and Data Center

You can still try deleting directly from the database, but I can't completely recommend it - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-delete-a-private-filter-user-no-longer-exists-directly/qaq-p/52508

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer