Make project Private

Surbhi Sharma May 10, 2019

I have a few projects on JIRA and some of these projects don't have any way to make them Private. How do I do that?

2 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

JIRA permissions

First, by default JIRA has a horrible permission scheme that violates security best practices by allowing everyone that can logon to do just about everything.

JIRA works by GRANTING access. You can't restrict access. By default, it grants access to the group used to logon (see Global permissions to see the "can use" groups and admin groups).  This is where users are getting their access.

1. The FIRST thing you need to do to get control is to remove any groups with logon privileges from the permission scheme unless you absolutely want everyone to have that permission.
  2. Then I suggest you setup Project Roles for the various functions like, tester, QA, Browse Only, etc.
  3. By using project roles, one permission scheme will cover all projects. The project admin controls project role membership
  4. If the project leads want everyone that can logon access to the project they can add the logon group to a project role with the desired permissions.

This may be a big effort, but it will pay off down the road by making it easy to control access.

Most of the 'old timers' use project roles. It meets the best practice for security and gives complete control to the project lead for access to their project. JIRA comes with many project roles, but you can add more if you have a special need.

1 vote
Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2019

Hallo @Surbhi Sharma ,

By setting correctly the "Users and Roles" in the project settings! 

You can create a new "private" group and included to these projects only. So only the user, who are in this group can have access to the specific projects!

regards 

CM

Surbhi Sharma May 10, 2019

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your instant reply. I really appreciate it.

I have some 4 projects and have made three of them Private (there was a Project Setting for it) and for the fourth project, I see no setting under Project Settings. The Settings are actually quite different for this specific project.

So the team members who are added on JIRA can view this open project.

I am not sure how to fix it with Users and Roles section as there are many many roles and permissions.

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2019

You are welcome @Surbhi Sharma

As @Joe Pitt mentioned above its all about granting permissions to the users.

First of all you have to go to the "Permissions" option.test1.png

• There you can see , which Role is permitted to do an action !!! When you clear in your mind the mapping between the permissions and the roles, then go to the "Users & Roles" option.
  • There you see, which users or users groups are in which Roles. At the end you have the overview of the situation!

But what do you mean by saying the settings are quite different? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events