Make issues public, browseable

Chris Ramakers September 28, 2011

I'm currently setting up some pages in confluence that contain a list of jira bugs based on a JQL query. It works fine when i'm logged in to jira but when some of my colleagues visit the confluence page the issues list is empty, probably because the issues are not publically browsable?

How do I make them available, also for people not logged in to Jira? I'm comfortable with all issues being public in jira but the security scheme configuration baffles me to be honest. I added a issue security scheme to the project, added a security level called "default" and added the group "Anyone" to it but that doesn't seem to work.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2011

Mmm, Jira security is powerful, and hence complex, and I think you've gone in the wrong direction!

First, security schemes are there to protect individual issues within a more widely published project (example - a project for logging incidents is available to all users, but in cases where the fault was human and the incident managers need to tell off the human, they set the security level to "private" to hide just that case). So forget them, they're not relevant to what you're trying to do. They don't override any security at a project level, all they do is block people from specific issues.

Secondly, I think you've got the basic idea right - if Jira knows who the current user is, it will show them issues that they can see. This is determined by the project permission scheme in the first instance, so you need to check that for each project you want to display issues from. Look specifically at the "browse" permission - that will tell you who can see the issues, but it always depends on Jira knowing who is asking. You were on the right track with the "anyone" group, but you need to do that in "browse" for the project permissions, and then you'll have allowed anonymous access to the entire project. (Recommendation - never use "anyone" for anything else, otherwise you'll find changes being made without any tracking of the user who did it. Also, check your workflows for the project - make sure every transition has at least one "condition" as transitions without any will let "anonymous" move things through the flow)

Finally, there's the "who are you" stuff, which prompts me to ask questions:

1. You don't mention what authentication you're using (Crowd? Plain login? AD?), or how you're trying to do the "list of bugs", so Ican't ramble at length on this.
  2. Have you looked at "trusted applications"?
  3. Also, your list, is it using one of the Jira macros? If so, try appending |anonymous=true to the end - that will tell confluence to tell Jira it wants anonymous access (so your authentication won't actually matter any more), but is dependent on you using "anyone" in your permission schemes.
1 vote
Sebastian Schöne March 10, 2016
1 vote
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2015

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events