Mail server error Malformed reply from SOCKS server

ecomus March 5, 2013

I am trying to setup a pop/imap mail server and I am getting the following error, unfortunatley this is not very usefukl when trying to fix the issue. I ahve full access tot he mail server so I am able to make changes to that.

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• SocketException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2013

Hi Chris,

This error normally comes up when the wrong port has been entered for the service. Specifically, it's when the host does have a service listening on the entered port (e.g. an HTTP service), but not the expected IMAP(S)/POP(S) service.

You will want to verify that you have the correct host name, service type (i.e. POP, POPS, IMAP or IMAPS) and (optionally) the correct port. In most cases you will want to just leave the port blank, as JIRA will pick the conventional one for the selected service (e.g. 110 for POP, 993 for IMAPS).

ecomus March 11, 2013

Thank you for the response, my issue is not resolved yet, I am now getting the following problem:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

I am using a self created certificate on the server.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2013

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately self-signed certificates are not supported. This is mentioned on our restricted functions page ("Installing intermediate SSL certificates").

Suggest an answer