Hi,

Is it worthwhile to use Jira if we use MAC os as our primary OS in our dev team?

2 answers

I'd say that just being Mac OS isn't a barrier to using Jira. As clients you can use Jira on any of the supported browsers.

One the server, you can install on Mac OS, it's just not supported

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Mac+OS+X

Atlassian's official line is:

JIRA running on Mac OS X should only be used for evaluation purposes!

Mac OS X is not a supported operating system for the JIRA server because until recently no supported Oracle JDK and JRE (formerly Sun JDK and JRE) was available for this operating system. It is our view that the cost of supporting JIRA on OS X would be better spent fixing bugs and developing other requested features.

Please note:

• If you encounter problems with your JIRA server running on Mac OS X, they may not be fixed as we do not test JIRA with unsupported Java platforms.
  • However, JIRA users can still access your JIRA server through a supported browser on Mac OS X.

So it's up to you.... you can run it locally but may not get the full support from Atlassian. You could always go to one of the partners and get support from them.

You could always use the onDemand service if you want a plain setup with limited plugins.

There are also other partners that will offer to host custom services for you.

Don't let the server OS restrict your choice, choose Jira on it's merits as an application/service

I run a JIRA and Confluence server side on my mac. Works fine. As Matthew said though, it is not supported. I also use my various macs to connect to other JIRA installs (that are running in windows or linux), and the mac works fine.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,815 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot