Limit User

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2011

By default when user Sign Up for an account he can see all created issues for a project.

(User is a direct member of the project role)

Suppose we have 3 projects A,B,C I want to restrict access and only administrator will manage this user ,

admin will add this user to project /s .once added to the project this user can see the issues and can create a new issue etc..

in another way a user sign up an account, his acount will be activated by the admin or the admin will add him to a project

is it possible to do this ,how?

thanks for any suggestion

2 answers

2 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2011

Generally by default, new users will be created and be added to the jira-users group. [ See Penny's comment below, specifically, new users are automatically added to all groups that have the global "JIRA Users" permission.]

It sounds like to me, you will want to change the permission scheme around so that jira-users is not what is used to allow users access to projects. Instead, some other group (save special-group-users). Then, when a new user is created, an admin will need to add the user to 'special-group-users' and then they will be able access the particular project.

We do this a lot as we have dozens of various clients in our systems.

Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2011

Colin is correct; I'd just like to clarify his "by default" statement: new users are automatically added to all groups that have the global "JIRA Users" permission.

e.g.

In this example, all new users would be added to both the jira-users and jira-developers groups.

So ensure that your special-group-users group doesn't have this global permission or you'll be back to square 1!

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2011

how do i create this specific group of users that can view that project (something other than jira-users)?

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2011

Samir, you will want to create new groups and add the users you want access to the projects, to those new groups.

You then use the projects 'edit roles' section to assign groups (or users) to the Users role for that project

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Role+Membership

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2011

Collin : I am using jira version 4.3.4

It sounds like to me, you will want to change the permission scheme around so that jira-users is not what is used to allow users access to projects. Instead, some other group (save special-group-users). Then, when a new user is created, an admin will need to add the user to 'special-group-users' and then they will be able access the particular project.

We do this a lot as we have dozens of various clients in our systems.

how can i do this?

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2011

how to ensure that your special-group-users group doesn't have this global permission ?

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2011

A general piece of really good practice in Jira is "only use the Jira users group for logins". Don't use it in permission schemes or roles because it then allows access to anyone who has an account.

Some places create another group, like "who has a Jira login" and use that as a dedicated "can log in" group, and there are some variations on the role - e.g. if you have a project for "jira support", it makes sense for every Jira user to be a member of that project automatically. But the principle remains - have a separate "login" group, and don't use it for much else.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2011

is there any guide or tutorial available on this subject?

Suggest an answer