Keeping Jira Dev and Jira Prod in Sync

Joshua Procious January 23, 2020

Hello,

We have two instances of Jira Software Server, dev and prod, which we would like to automate sync for. We have project configurator and native backup tools hosted on AWS. However, the process for syncing things like specific status id's and custom field id's between the two instances of Jira is very tedious. It either requires manual db work or a full backup/restore from the other instance. Is there a better way to manage and sync two Jira server instances in their entirety?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

You can use a configuration import tool such as the aptly named Configuration Manager for Jira to synchronise your configurations between instances. It's been a while since I used it, so I can't remember if the custom field id's and status id's are kept the same. Worth trialing and/or reaching out to the team at Botron to see if they can help.

Amos February 7, 2024

It doesn't sync UIDs - we use it to deploy snapshots between environments and it appears to work based on the name of the object. I'd love for UID synchronisation - often I find with configuration manager it's missing just one or two things that we're constantly having to remember to check. One example is it's integrated with Jira Misc Workflow Extensions, yet it doesn't sync shared validators.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Not really.  If you don't use an identical copy of the source data, then IDs are going to drift off, no matter what tools you use for synchronisation.

Ok, that was my thought too. If db's are in perfect sync and all add-on's are the same,  the instances should create new custom field id's and status id's with identical information right? 

I'm currently making this so between our instances and will test and relay back here what I find. 

Thanks for your answer!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Yes. 

But bear in mind production is going to move on, so they will immediately start to drift, unless you are playing back every change to production as it happens.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

I presume you aren't trying to synch issues. JIRA doesn't lend itself to synching anything.

I only use the dev instance for testing out plugins, new versions of JIRA, and major upgrades to the server OS. For working with new workflows, issues, fields, etc. I use the projects on the production system one I have permission to. If I'm happy with a workflow, screen, etc. I can apply it to a current project. 

Correct, issues aren't too big of a challenge and only really originate from prod.

That's what we've been doing to help ourselves along as I look for a better solution. 

Seems Jira is stable in regards to workflow functions for the most part, however, some of our development are fairly complex groovy scripts run through scriptrunner and can sometimes crash the system. This is really the need for being able to run stuff in dev first and then push to prod when verified. Appreciate your answer, I'll leave this up for a few days before I accept what's already happening!

Cheers!

Suggest an answer