Jira questions

Bunty October 15, 2019

·  When advising a development team on their usage of Jira, what features or workflows would you typically recommend?  Would you recommend adding custom fields, for example?  Why?

·  When you are developing software or a script, how do you decide when it is “good enough?

·  When do you automate a task, and when might it be wrong to automate a task?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2019

Hello Bunty,

Thank you for reaching out.

The answers to your questions will really depend on how you are using JIRA and what specific goals you are trying to achieve. Please, allow me to get into further details:

When advising a development team on their usage of Jira, what features or workflows would you typically recommend?  Would you recommend adding custom fields, for example?  Why?

JIRA has several kinds of workflows and features for development teams with their own specifications depending on how you are going to use it, but basically they can be classified into two types: Kanban and Scrum.

Scrum is used when you want to split your software development in Sprints with a specified completion date, while Kanban is used for continuous improvement/work in the applications.

About custom fields, it is used to add further details on each item development in your project. if you think that the default JIRA fields are already enough to add the relevant information, they are not necessary.

When you are developing software or a script, how do you decide when it is “good enough?

As mentioned before, JIRA uses scrum to track determined development procedures and Kanban to continuous improvement. Let me give you a practice example:

If you have a clear target that a script to automate a user creation will be completed in 2 hours, the Scrum method is recommended. When the request would be "Improve the UI of our system" and a defined target was not informed, them the Kanban method would be the best choice.

When do you automate a task, and when might it be wrong to automate a task?

Could you please specify what kind of automation you are planning to perform? What would be the scenario you would be using JIRA?

That being said, I would recommend you to check both methodologies below to know which would be the best approach for your team:

Kanban Vs Scrum 

Let me know in case you have any questions.

Suggest an answer