Jira not accepting project key

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

Guys

I am on jira 5.0.2. While trying to create a new project with key XYZ13 the system is nt allowing me to do so with an error message.

You must specify a unique project key, at least 2 characters long, containing only uppercase letters.

I checked for this key XYZ13 and it does not appear in any of my projects.

What can be going wrong?

Note: I do have a project with key XYZ in my instance.

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2013

There was a bit of a change here. Atlassian have never supported numeric keys but did allow us to change it. But in later versions, the key pattern moved from a config file into the admin screens, and, of course, that clobbers upgrades. Because you lose that setting - it reverts to [A-Z][A-Z]+

This doesn't affect existing projects, only creation of a new project. You can, of course, simply update the pattern to allow it. I would strongly recommend [A-Z][A-Z1-9]+ though - I ran into a bug in two different plugins where they choked on project keys starting with numbers (but worked fine with numbers after the initial letter)

1 vote
ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

You can't use numers:

[...] containing only uppercase letters.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

On our Jira instance we have lots of projects with numbers in their keys.

Rahul

ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

You can change the pattern in System / Gerneral Configuration / Advanced: jira.projectkey.pattern

The default is ([A-Z][A-Z]+). What is your pattern?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

My pattern is ([A-Z][A-Z]+) and I have recently upgraded to 5.0.2 which may be the reason why i have numbered keys....

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

Perhaps the settings regarding project key were altered at some point? Because the pattern you display as your current setting is alphas only; see documentation here.

Suggest an answer