Jira issue description disabled if description field not present in issue screen

amelandri May 29, 2013

I'm asking this question here because I don't know if it's a bug or if Jira is behaving as intented.

I have a project for my personal todos and I created a simple screen without the description field because I wanted to keep issues creation as simple and quick as possible, with the option to insert a detailed description after.

I noticed that if don't include the Description field in my screen, the Description is not editable in the main issue page nor clicking the Edit button.

I noticed this behaviour only after upgrading to 6.0.1 but I don't know if previous versions had the same "problem".

As I said before I don't know if it's a bug or if Jira is behaving as intented.

Does someone have more info on this?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

Do you have a separate screen for "Edit" and "View" operations? If not, there lies the issue. The "Edit" screen must have the field on it.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2013

hmm, should have posted my comment as an answer. Had the same idea as Jobin.

0 votes
amelandri May 30, 2013

I was using only one screen for all operations. Adding a screen for editing that includes Description field solved my problem.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm glad I asked here before filing a bug.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

Question, do you use for create, edit and view the same screen?

Suggest an answer