Jira for designers

Anna Kirakosyan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 29, 2024

I'm seeking best practices for integrating UI/UX designer into our development process using Jira. At this stage I created another board for design and requirement gathering process separate from development board. Our design phase typically precedes development and often encompasses multiple stories, such as designing a section of an application that needs to be considered holistically. Would it be advisable to create a dedicated task specifically for UX/UI design in this scenario? This task would have a straightforward workflow and would be closed upon completion, after which individual stories would be created for development implementation. 

Any use cases or projects that have successfully employed a similar process in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2024

Hi @Anna Kirakosyan -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I do not feel there are any best practices: only better or worse ones based on a specific team's needs, context, and scale.  That being noted...

I have observed three ways of doing this for UI/UX teams I have supported:

• embedded
    • UI/UX skilled people are dedicated to specific teams, and their work is on that team's work tracking
    • when there are "all of UI/UX" work items (e.g., build a new style guide), they collaborate using a separate work-tracking area / Jira project using a guild model
  • service team
    • all UI/UX skilled people are one team, with their own defined workflow, intake, and work tracking
    • requests come to them and are managed, in addition to the discovery and experimentation work done initiated by the UI/UX team
  • one value stream
    • there is one value stream defined for the organization, and all work is on it, helping improve focus through visible goals / measures, WIP management, and other lean practices
    • this fits better for a smaller orgs, or where the organization has multiple and independent delivery value streams

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events