Jira XMPP notifications in 5.0

Krystian Szczesny December 17, 2011

I can see that JIRA-Jabber-Notifier-Listener plugin does not work with Jira 5.0.

Sending notifications to people using IM is crucial to me and I have to get something to fill the gap.

Could you please point me toward a working solution?

12 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SheraliA August 27, 2012

Hi all,

I am so terribly sorry for the beeing so slow to update you all. I just released the version 1.18 of the plugin. It contains a number of improvements:

• JJABBER-7 - more options for notification recipients
  • JJABBER-14 - even more options for notification recipients
  • JJABBER-15 - smack library has been upgraded to 3.2.1
  • JJABBER-17 - a special case of the above JJABBER-14 (using user email as jabberID)
  • JJABBER-21 - JIRA 5.1 compatibility.
  • JJABBER-22 - asynchronous notifications
  • JJABBER-23 - ability to post to chat rooms

NB: this plugin still implements the old JIRA Listener API and hence can not be reloaded at run-time. JIRA will have to be restarted for the upgrade. The fix for this is coming in the next release.

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

Does that mean the plugin is not dead? What about the fixes from parthis?

Krystian Szczesny October 9, 2012

Although this one is marked as accepted answer, parthis and his excellent work should be noted as well!

Thanks guys!

2 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

(jira-jabber-notifier-listener-2.0-SNAPSHOT.txt) attached rename to .jar

Juha Sadeharju June 12, 2012

The 2.0-snapshot version installs ok to JIRA 5.0, and does try to connect to our server. I can't test it further as plaintext authentication is disabled in the server.

Would it be possible for you to upload the source as well, when you're done? The TLS/SALS issues should be pretty easy to sort out via Smack's ConnectionConfiguration, and we could try to figure it out ourselves.

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2012

It seems to work if you recreate all your listeners (the imported ones from Jira 4 won't work), but that is ok.

The message send out via xmpp still has variables in it, e.g.:

Blocker: $event.getUser().getFullName() triggered "Issue Created" event on issue "test

Juha Sadeharju June 12, 2012

Turns out we had some jabberd roster issues, so TLS logins work now fine. But notifications fail due "/secure/AddComment.jspa [velocity] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException: reference : template = templates/im/notify.vm [line 1,column 39] : $event.getUser().getFullName() is not a valid reference."

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2012

hmm i dont have a test bed to test these scenarios, only thing i was able to do bring it in line with all the api changes and get rid of all deprectated stuff.

will get the velocity macro updated as well sorry i missed it.

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2012

Updated jar file which takes care of " $event.getUser().getFullName()"

(jira-jabber-notifier-listener-2.0-SNAPSHOT.txt) (JJABBER SRC 2.0.tar.gz.txt)

I should get in touch with atlassian and see if can do a commit there on the repository itself

rename the .txt to .jar and take out he .txt on the SRC tar.gz

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

Looks good for the moment - I'll do a complete new install of the current Jira version this weekend and report back on monday...

But so far: many thanks for you effort!!

Juha Sadeharju June 13, 2012

Seems to work quite ok now. Definitely worth a beer or two :)

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2012

Good to know :) Its a small world you never know..

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2012

UPDATE: Until now it works fine, with only one bug:

The setting "Ignore events generated by my own changes true/false (default: true): true" is ignored when using "Users to notify: watchers" (I get messages when I comment/or use a workflow step on an issue I watch)

When using "Users to notify: assignee" everything works fine (I get no message when commenting/or using a workflow step on an issue assigned to myself)

2 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2012

Guys i have a ported version ready for you test.

i dont have permissions to update the source in svn here https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/svn/JJABBER/trunk/

please let me know where to send this for you all to rtest

cheers

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2012

Could you attach the jar file here for testing?

2 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2012

i dont have the energy or the time to install and test it with a jabber server, i take it you have all this ready to go but the plugin is not compatible with 5.x ?

I can spend some time on this to make it compatible with 5.X if you are happy to test it.

A beer or a pizza would be very good too ..

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2012

That would be nice - I tried to start fixing it myself, but ran into endless problems setting up the SDK.

I have everything ready for testing here, but for the beer and pizza you`re probably too far away...

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

Apologies, for some reason i lost track of this, will have a look and see what needs to be done.

I'm on a break all week next week, will try and see if i can squeeze something soon

You never know its a small world we might bump somewhere ;)

0 votes
Svetlana December 26, 2012

I have JIRA 5.0.7. But our modification plugin don't work. When I use "watchers" (+ User's Jabber ID Property {userName}@{xmppServer} ) notification it isn't sent. Everything works when I "test@jabber.ru" in field "Users to notify ". In what there can be a reason?

0 votes
Svetlana December 26, 2012

I have JIRA 5.0.7. But our modification plugin don't work. When I use "watchers" (+ User's Jabber ID Property {userName}@{xmppServer} ) notification it isn't sent. Everything works when I "test@jabber.ru" in field "Users to notify ". In what there can be a reason?

0 votes
SheraliA August 27, 2012
  • $event.getUser().getFullName() issue has of course been fixed as part of JJABBER-21
  • Notifying on own changes obeys JIRA's standard profile setting (see attached images).

• As for the TLS, @parthis, could you share the diff for the code changes you made? I am happy to review and roll them in for you.
  • Any other fixes that I have missed? I am happy to roll them in too.
  • On recreating the listeners: that can be avoided by a restart. As I mentioned above - I am working on another release that will fix this problem too.
0 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2012

(jira-jabber-notifier-listener-2.0-SNAPSHOT.txt) have fun testing, rename the .txt file to .jar

cheers

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2012

hmm not sure where the attachment has gone atleast i cant see it .. mail me on parthi (dot) subu @ gmail.com will send the jar file

cheers

0 votes
Juha Sadeharju May 23, 2012

Any news on this, anyone? The JIRA 5 support would be much appreciated!

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2012

Is there any news on this? Currently this is the only thing keeping me from upgrading our jira...

0 votes
Krystian Szczesny March 13, 2012

Actually although not listed as working I was able to just put the plugin in place and it read all the settings I had before in database and worked fine. I didn't upgrade to 5.0. I will have to make sure IM notifications work before I do.

So what you're saying is that this plugin does not work with 5.0?

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2012

It works with 4.4.3

It does NOT work with 5.0

Krystian Szczesny March 13, 2012

Yup, that's what I thought :/

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2012

Hi,

did you come up with a solution? I have the same need where with 5.0 - stangely the Jabber-Notifier-Listener plugin worked for me in 4.4.3

Suggest an answer