Jira Portfolio: what determines the order of projects shown?

Felix Kaiser February 6, 2018

I'm using the the Jira Portfolio plugin to produce a Gantt chart. I've included issues from several projects.

Projects are shown in a very specific order, that's non-alpanumeric, e.g. Project B then Project A below.

How is it determined? How can I influence it?

2 answers

1 vote
Aziz Ahmed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 9, 2020

@Felix Kaiser  I just created a whole bunch of new projects at the same time and added them to a new portfolio plan - it appears that they are in the order that the projects were created. It doesn't appear to be possible to re-order them

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

Hi Felix,

I believe this answer from Epic ranking in Portfolio 2.0 can help start answer your question:

The rank from Portfolio should generally be represented on the JIRA board, however there are some differences in epic rank behavior between Portfolio and JIRA which can cause epics to be inconsistent. This is because the rank of epics in JIRA are independent to the rank of stories whereas in Portfolio the rank of stories and epics directly impact each other.
The main contributors to inconsistent rank behavior between JIRA & Portfolio are:
  • In Portfolio the highest ranking child issue of an epic determines that epic’s rank relative to other epics.
  • In Portfolio re-ranking the epic also bulk re-ranks all the child stories.
We recognize that this isn't optimal behavior but it’s a necessary trade-off for the intended use of Portfolio and the integration with JIRA.

Take a look at the comments for more information and please vote on JPOSERVER-1387 to help get better ranking in Portfolio.

Cheers,

Branden

Felix Kaiser February 7, 2018

Thanks, Branden. I'm not looking at the order or issues (epics, stories, ...) but of projects. So the vertical order, not the horizontal one.

In the following screenshot, you can see that project PLAT comes before IOS wich comes before ADR. Is this order influenced by the epics contained? If so, I'll re-read the linked post.

Jira Portfolio project display order.png

In the past I haven't seen a different in project order, regardless of the issues from these projects displayed. Also I couldn't influence it by changing the issue source. I would expect the project to be displayed in alphanumeric order.

Felix Kaiser February 26, 2018

@somethingblue, shameless push.

Suggest an answer