Jira Hanging

Ian Jamieson July 8, 2012

Hey,

We are having issues here where Jira is hanging. It is running on a local webserver which is serving out other web pages fine.

Every now and then Jira will just hang, leave it 5 minutes and it will come back up again.

Has anyone seen this issue before or know a good method of debugging it?

Thanks,

Ian

2 answers

0 votes
Ping Zhou February 27, 2014

We are having the same problem. I checked the system performence and found the usage of CPU is over 90%, then for 3 or 4 minutes it turned back to normal. At that time we had only 1 or 2 users logged on to the system.

Our configuration: CPU: E8400, RAM: 4G, Hard disk: 120G free in C drive, OS: 64bit Win 7, Database: Postgresql 9.0 installed on the same computer.

We have hung up for 3 times this week. Any ideas to tune the system?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2014

It's the same answer as before - you need to read the logs, work out what is going on, and then adjust settings to tune it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2012

Check the log file for the times it's hanging. If that tells you nothing, then it may be worth investigating what it's doing during a hang. Have a look at the system monitoring to see if there's high CPU/memory/Disk usage.

Look at thread-traces in the JVM if you can - on a unix box, I use kill -3 on the process and then read through the thread file that gives me (I'm not sure what the tools are on Windows)

From past experience, you'll usually find the pause is caused by Jira being busy with something big, like a bulk edit.

You might also want to tell us a little about your installation - the OS, memory settings and version would be a good start

Cool. I tried restarting Jira by running shutdown.sh but now when I start it I get the following error:

The jira.home directory '/usr/local/jira' is already locked. Please see http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/docs-043/How+do+I+unlock+my+JIRA+home+directory%3F?clicked=jirahelp# for more information on locked jira.home directories.

The article it pointed me to didn't help too much. Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2012

That means it isn't stopping "gracefully" - something in there is hanging and the process ends up killed forcibly, leaving a stale lock behind.

This is possibly because it's going into the same "frozen" state for some reason, but it might not be.

I wouldn't worry about this though, try looking for the main reason it's freezing while active.

Ok thanks, I am having trouble starting Jira again, but I suppose this is a separate ticket.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2012

Possibly. You should be able to delete the lock file and restart (After checking that there definitely isn't a Jira already running).

Suggest an answer