Jira - Feature vs Epic

Amanda Armstrong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 24, 2024

In Jira, the parent of a story is called an EPIC.

In Jira Align, the parent of a story is called a Feature.

Will there ever be alignment across the 2 platforms?

1 answer

2 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

Hello @Amanda Armstrong ! Welcome to the Atlassian community!

The discrepancy between Jira and Jira Align can come down to the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).  Back in the early history of Jira Align, it was a company and product called AgileCraft that created a way of tying Jira and other tools used by teams and integrated them for higher levels that incorporated teams of teams (seen in SAFe as Agile Release Trains).

The Agile Release Trains would work in higher level work items called Features that were made up of Stories.  In the event that Jira Align/AgileCraft needed to tie into Jira, Features were mapped to the issue type that is above Stories (Epics).

At some point in the future, Jira will allow Epics to be renamed so there will be alignment.  But for now on Jira Align and other apps that are around to work with SAFe, there's a mapping between SAFe Features and Jira Epics.

Davis Gleaton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2024

Just onboarding our Team to Jira Align - the terminology difference between Core JIra (Epics) and Jira Align Features and (Portfolio) Epics is so confusing.  It is hard to believe that as a software company this would continue as a foundational issue and should be resolved.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events