Jira API jars

GurpreetS July 25, 2013

How do i get access to JIRA api jars ?

5 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2013

Ah, I see, you need to get at stuff REST does not natively expose.

To use the Jira APIs though, you need to be running inside Jira, or at least something that's very like a Jira skeleton. That means you'll need to reconstruct a database connection layer, the core of a web application, the functions to support the APIs to a minimal level, and so on.

I'm not sure that you can really code for every eventuality that someone adds new fields via a plugin. But I can see why you want a generic handler for this.

My suggestion would be to write a small plugin for your Jira that provides the information you need over REST. Something that, when poked, returns "here's a list of all the custom fields and their types" so that your application then has all the information it needs about the fields (Options - you could copy and extend the existing REST plugin, or create one that runs just your new functions at a different location)

0 votes
GurpreetS July 25, 2013

My actual requirement -

Reading custom fields from jira (but from outside jira).

for reading other type of jira data i was using jira rest api...but for the fact that jira custom fields can be widely configured/built using plugins...

so reading them using rest api will doesn;t give me generic approach (for e.g. somebody entering new custom field using a plugin to their jira system)

i need to read the value of this field.. upfront i will not know the json data representation of this field. so in a way i cannot

read this field's value(though i can read entire json representation).

For e.g. in a standard custom field(following data).

type - string

class - com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:select

representation - "customfield_10005":{"self":"http://localhost:8080/rest/api/2/customFieldOption/10002","value":"Resend Epicurean","id":"10002"}

in this i know i will be reading value component of json object if if's of above mentioned class "com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:select" i.e. is a standard custom field in java

so i am looking to read the values of custom fields of all types created through plugins in a generic way. so that i dont need to change my code..once a new type of custom field is entered through a plugin

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2013

Ok, so you'll need to import them into your projects as dependencies, the same way Jira plugins do.

I do think you might have a structural problem here though. It sounds like you are writing a system that will be using Jira data, but not inside Jira. You'll be able to use some of the Jira API you import, but you'll effectively need to build an entire Jira skeleton in order to use them - that's potentially a vast project to clone part of Jira.

Could you explain the actual requirement here? What does your code need to do? If it's a completely new view of Jira by an external application (like Almworks Jira client, JRJC, a phone or tablet application, making it run on a toaster, etc), then you may find it far easier to simply use Jira's REST interface. Or *read* the database directly. Or write a Jira plugin that exposes the bits of Jira you need.

0 votes
GurpreetS July 25, 2013

i want to build my code on top of jira api jars...like i want to read the data from jira in code... similar to plugin kind of stuff but not plugin ... i want the jira api jars in my java project

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

I'm afraid that is far too vague a question. In what context do you want "access"? I mean, what are you trying to do - write a plugin that depends on the API? Modify core functionality? Read the code for them? Include them in an IDE somehow?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events