Jelly Runner

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2011

I am using win server 2003 , I need to enable Jelly runner

I followed the steps to set the jvm property:

1. shutdown JIRA

2. If you are using Windows OS edit the <jira installation directory>\bin\setenv.bat using a text editor of your choice. You should see this line:

bq.set JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true

add the jelly property so that the JVM require arguments look like:

bq.set JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Djira.jelly.on=true

Resart JIRA and you should see this property in the list of your JVM parameters in the [system information page]

finally nothing happened i didn t see the property in system Information page

and i am still getting

Jelly Runner

As a security precaution, the Jelly Runner on this installation is currently disabled. To enable Jelly support, please start JIRA with "-Djira.jelly.on=true". For more information see the Jelly Documentation.

please help

12 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2011

Identify the name of the service that JIRA is installed as in Windows (<tt>Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services</tt> ):

Find the JIRA service and double click to open the dialog box. The look for the SERVICENAME e.g.: <tt>JIRA060611143045</tt>

Close this dialog

Open a command window, and <tt>cd</tt> to the <tt>bin</tt> directory of the JIRA instance

Run: <tt>tomcat6w //ES//%SERVICENAME%</tt>. e.g.
tomcat6w //ES//JIRA060611143045

Click on the Java tab to see the list of current start-up options:

Append any new option on its own new line by adding to the end of the existing Java Options.

-Djira.jelly.on=true

Then close and restart the JIRA service. Jelly should now be enabled

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

very helpfull

Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2011

setenv only applies to a batch file start up, not to the service.

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2013

The important feature here is every option should be on a newline, and should have neither a trailing or leading whitespace.

1 vote
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

Thanks Steve ...i really appreciate

you are the Man !

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

Glad to help :-)

0 votes
Pascal Collard October 27, 2011

Thank you Steve, that was it.

0 votes
Pascal Collard October 26, 2011

Quick test to find out that running: tomcat6w //ES//JIRA251011111201
This command opens an alert box stating: Access is denied. Unable to open the service 'JIRA251011111201'

The service name is correct.

I tried to stop / start the serive and run the command when stoped too, same error each time.

Thanks

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2011

Run the command window as an Adminsitrator (Right click on the command icon and select Run as Administrator)

0 votes

Thank you, I'll have check there.

0 votes

I don't see any new tab/window opening up when starting the tomcat6 command.
Nothing happens when I run: tomcat6 //US//JIRA251011111201

Thanks

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2011
0 votes

Hello;
I'm running JIRA on a Win 2008R2 server and tried to follow the correct answer steps but there is no "Java tab" in the command prompt window.

How/What should I do to have the Jelly Runner enabled? We tried to run:

....\Atlassian\JIRA443\bin>tomcat6 //US//JIRA251011111201 ++JvmOptions="-Djira.jelly.on=true"

This shows no error or anything but when we do:

....\Atlassian\JIRA443\bin>echo %errorLevel%

it outputs "6"

We also tried to add "-Djira.jelly.on=true" as value for the "Start parameters" of the service properties but same behavior is seen, Jelly Runner is still not enabled.

Thanks

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2011

Hi

Sorry my explanation maybe a little unclear at that step. By running

tomcat6w //ES//JIRA060611143045

A new dialog window should appear and there should be a Java tab in that window for you to enter the details.

0 votes

Hello;
I'm running JIRA on a Win 2008R2 server and tried to follow the correct answer steps but there is no "Java tab" in the command prompt window.

How/What should I do to have the Jelly Runner enabled? We tried to run:

....\Atlassian\JIRA443\bin>tomcat6 //US//JIRA251011111201 ++JvmOptions="-Djira.jelly.on=true"

This shows no error or anything but when we do:

....\Atlassian\JIRA443\bin>echo %errorLevel%

it outputs "6"

We also tried to add "-Djira.jelly.on=true" as value for the "Start parameters" of the service properties but same behavior is seen, Jelly Runner is still not enabled.

Thanks

0 votes
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

Depending on what version of JIRA you are using, I would use a different variable in setenv.bat:

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Djira.jelly.on=true"
JAVA_OPTS="-Xms${JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY} -Xmx${JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY} ${JAVA_OPTS} ${JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS} ${DISABLE_NOTIFICATIONS} ${JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS}"

Basically, I wouldn't edit the JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS. Try setting the JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS and restarting JIRA. Also, when you restart, make sure that JIRA is completely stopped before staring up the process again.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2011

Ans what do you get in the logs after you add the "echo" line?

0 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

I edited like this on a single line

rem The following are the required arguments need for JIRA standalone.
rem
rem --------------------------------------------------------------------------

set JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Djira.jelly.on=true

rem --------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2011

It's obviously not picking up your JVM argument change. Can you check for line feeds/carriage returns in the batch file - I've been caught out more than once adding the argument as a new line instead of to the end of it. If in doubt, then try adding the line "echo %JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS" a few lines later and reading the log file from the Jira startup

Suggest an answer