Java Core, Adding +100 items to a custom field list

eto strike April 16, 2018

Hi ,

I want to be able to create a custom field list where I can select one room from over 100 when I create a new issue.

Each room has a specific name. I have an excel list of the room names, is there anyway I can import this instead of adding them one by one when I create the custom field.

I am only evaluating java core at the moment and haven't decided if cloud based or inhouse would be better so if I can get in via a backdoor if I set it up on my own server to add lists like this let me know.

2 answers

1 vote
Bob Moore April 16, 2018

There are multiple add ons which can help with this. You could install Scriptrunner which has a 'Bulk Import Custom Field Values' feature.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_bulk_import_custom_field_values should help you to achieve this.

Custom Field Value Importer can also handle this (for Server).

eto strike April 16, 2018

Thanks, I will take a look

eto strike April 18, 2018

Can you suggest any other addons, when I try script runner as a demo 'bulk import custom filed values' is not provided as a built in script.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

There's another hack that requires no clever code.

Create a "scraps" project.  I usually giv it a name people will never want to use for real projects, and a permission scheme that is "administrator only"

Create a spreadsheet with two columns.  One column contains the options, the other column should contain something unique to each line (frankly, just use the options column again, it's easiest).  Save the file as CSV

Configure the project so that it uses your custom field for the default issue type

Go to Admin -> CSV import, and import it, mapping one column to "summary" and the other to your custom field.  Tell the import to create new options.

If you're bothered, deleted the new issues you've just created.

Hi Nic, thanks for the quick reply,:)  I have tried what you said but unsure how I 

'Tell the import to create new options.' for my custom field?

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to select  'create new options,' it rejects any new  values. from my csv.

I have a custom field called 'position' that I am trying to populate with approx 100 room names.

I get the following error for each position I try to import

• The value [ {null=AC_Room_1 -1700} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Position ]. The value [ {null=AC_Room_1 -1700} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Odd, I get a "add new" when I do it.  You are a system admin?

Yes I am admin, using the cloud based Jira in demo mode to see how useful it would be for my needs.

Suggest an answer