JSB HR project - managers doesn't show in people picket list.

Theis Joergensen December 8, 2022

Hi Community, 

I have encountered a strange issue. 

I have created a JSM HR project and i am using a customised version of the onboarding request type. 

I have created a people picker field called "manager", where i have added enable filtering and set a specific role who should be displayed. 

image.png

On the project i have added 6 users and given them the "engineering manager role". 

Unfortunately they dont show in the list (Also not if i start typing their names) 

image.png

Fun fact:

Having above setup, there are two way to make the managers show in the list.

1. Give them project administrator role in addition to engineering manager role. 

2. Enabling "anyone allowed on the customer access setting"

image.png

2nd option however, is not optimal as the project is then visible to all other customers using the customer portal - even though they only are added as customers in other projects. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Hello @Theis Joergensen 

Have you also added theese approvers to the "Service Desk Customer" role?

HTH,
KGM

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Thanks for your feedback.

No, i haven't added them. Is it necessary when i specifically filtered by the engineering manager role? 

Best regards

Theis

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Hi again @Theis Joergensen 

The approvers will have to have the same permission to the JSM project as the "Customers". Try that and let us know.

HTH,
KGM

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Thanks, it works. However, I am not sure i understand the logic here. 

Is there a place i can read more about this? In my case the managers are not working on the ticket, in fact they would not even need permission to the project. Everything is handled by HR so i "just" need to show a list of names which are relevant for HR.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Well, as far as I understand the logic, in order for the approvers to approve a ticket, they have to have permission to see it. Therefore, they have to be provided the same permission as the "Customers" (I keep writing Customers in brackets because internal employees can also be treated as JSM Customers). If one has not access to browse the project, then one cannot approve or do anything on it's tickets.

Best, KGM

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen In that scenario it makes sense. But they are not approving anything. It just a name, could as well have been a plain text field. Reason for me to use this, is to ensure an actual manager is selected. 

If i deselect filtering again, i can select between everyone in our organisation, also people without a role in this project. 

image.png

I dont know why this changes by enabling filtering. 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Oh sorry for my misunderstanding, @Theis Joergensen  Regardless though, they will still need browse permission to the project in order to be selected/selectable into a user field. I believe the JSM permission scheme runs that deep.

If you are satisfied with this solution, please go ahead and click on the "Accept answer". 

Thanks, KGM

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events