JQL statement to find which projects in my jira do not have any tickets

Thao Sperling April 5, 2018

I am tasked to clean up Jira and cannot seem to find answers/solutions for JQL to run and find out which projects in Jira that do not have any tickets associated, meaning users create by accident or testing purposes, etc..I have Jira admin rights.

The second part to this is also a JQL statement to count all of the tickets per project (regardless of status), that would be so great.

Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

Hi Thao,

counting issues in a project is easy. Use the issue navigator and only search for issues in a specific project, e.g. project = YourProject. Maybe not a very sophisticated approach but you will get the number of results and that's what you want. Depending on the number of projects you have to check, that can mean some manual work. If you want a list of all projects and their issue count I guess you have to get that information from your database/via REST API instead. The same is valid for getting empty projects if you don't want to check all projects manually. Maybe this old topic can help a bit: How to find empty projects?

Best, Max

Thao Sperling April 5, 2018

Thank you @Max Foerster - K15t for referencing the old topic and using REST API. I have too many projects to check to use the issue navigator. Really appreciate your help!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

Glad I could help! :)

Suggest an answer