JQL for bugs in a list of Epics

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2023

Hi, I am trying to write a JQL that returns all the bugs in a list of epics. I have created a query that returns these epics. filter = "my epics". 

I build my query like this 

issuetype = Bug and "Epic Link" in (filter = "my epics") and I get

"Error in the JQL Query: ...."

If I use the epic issuekey instead of the filter, I get results. 

example: issuetype = Bug and "Epic Link" in (projectA-1, projectA-2) returns all the bugs in these 2 epics. 

I also have the scriptrunner but do not know how to use it for this scenario. 

Can I get some help please? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Nari Man 

You need to use the issuesInEpics() function.

issueType = Bug and issuefunction issuesInEpics(<filter>)

I know that if you replace <filter> with the JQL that you used to select your Epics, and put that JQL in quotes, then the above should work.

I don't have a Jira Server/Data Center instance where I can test this out, so I don't know if you can replace <filter> with "filter = 'my epics'".

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

the issue was with the quotes around "my epics". I typed the query from scratch and it worked. 

Thanks

0 votes

Hi 
You can use epic link in JQL. like epic link = " Test" and issuetype = bug.

this will list out all the child issues for the epic and whose issue type is Bug

Suggest an answer