JQL: How can I search for the issues associated to a group of epics identified from a subquery?

David Patterson October 19, 2018

Specifically, I have have a workflow that allows me to set a status on an epic to "Groomed" and "Ready for Development" and many others.

I want to create a filter that always returns the issues associated with the epics that have a status of "Groomed" and "Ready for Development".

3 answers

1 vote
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 15, 2021

Hi,

With standard JQL you can only execute your subquery, export the results and manually construct another JQL using the export epic issue keys. It works if it's just a one off job.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but the results can be quickly found using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions.

You can find children of epics with the following extended JQL:

issue in childrenOfEpicsInQuery("status in (Groomed, 'Ready for Development')") 

Thanks,
Daniel

0 votes
Kris Luhr August 31, 2021

As a workaround we're using automation to add/remove a label to all issues in an epic when the epic changes status... Then I can search and setup boards using that label.

Not pretty but it works without extensions.

0 votes
David Patterson October 19, 2018

Found a solution:

issueFunction in issuesinEpics("type = epic AND project = XXXX AND status in (Groomed, \"Ready for Development\")")

Kris Luhr June 15, 2021

Hi, I am looking for this too but get an error saying issueFunction does not exist. Are you using some plugin?

BR /Kris

Suggest an answer