Hello Atlassian administrators,

Has anybody used JMX to monitor JIRA performance?

I have added the JVM extra args: -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=#### -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=../conf/jmxremote.password -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=../conf/jmxremote.access

Our server is hosted on an AWS instance and I have all the ports necessary ports open.

I can telnet into that port but can't connect (secure or insecure) using jconsole from the same computer.

My password has a '$' in it; could that be interfering? Any ideas how to debug this? I don't see logs for JMX...

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi All,

I had to add the -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port and force it to use IPv4 (-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true).

Setting both of those up let us setup a non-SSL connection between jconsole and the JIRA server.

Thank you for all your help.

I think you might be missing the "com.sun.management.jmxremote" property, so try adding it and see if it will work.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/management/agent.html

Boris, I have this property.

I can connect to it using the jmxsh command line utility from the server itself (so it connects to it self). However, when I try to connect from any other server, only the JMX clients are rejected... any ideas how to debug this?

Hi Abhi,

You might check the related answer post below for some additional settings which might be missing:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/88110/how-to-access-objects-exposed-via-jmx-monitoring-plugin-for-jira-using-a-java-client

In addition to that, you may also consider using a plugin for monitoring, such as Java Melody.

I hope this information helps.

Cheers,

Danilo

Hi @Abhi Vaishnav , I am also studying how to monitor Jira performance with JMX. It seems you have already successfully connected Jira with JMX. Could you please let me know how to add extra args to JVM? where is the JVM file location? thanks in advance!

Hey Zhen Zhang, This is what my JVM_EXTRA_ARGS line looks like:

JVM_EXTRA_ARGS="-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -verbose:gc -Xloggc:/apps/atlassian/jira-data-507/log/atlassian-jira-gc-$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H%M).log -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:NewSize=2048m -XX:+UseCompressedOops -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8090 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=/apps/atlassian/jira-server/conf/jmxremote.access -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/apps/atlassian/jira-server/conf/jmxremote.password -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port=8090"

You setup the JVM_EXTRA_ARGS line in <JIRA_INSTALL>/bin/setenv.sh (.bat depending on what platform you are on). Hope that helps.

Sorry about the crappy formatting, I made a typo in my {code} and Atlassian is not letting me edit the entry...

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 12 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

39 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you