JIRA user log on takes around 5 minutes after project import

Chedomir Dimitrovski July 11, 2017

Hi All,

We have had a really strange situation as suddenly JIRA log on process (and some ohter pages for example Manage Filters (/secure/ManageFilters.jspa) take around 5 minutes to load. This started happening after successfull import of some Projects from another JIRA instamce.

Can someone please suggest how to proceed and what to investigate?

We are using JIRA Software 7.2.7 (without JIRA Core and without Service Desk)

Thanks in advance,

Chedomir

p.s. the attlassian-jira.log does not have any info related to this slownes

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Dear Chedomir,

May I ask the recources of the server that you host JIRA on?

Also; How much memory have you allocated to JIRA?

Hi Jeremy,

First of all, thanks for the verys fast reply.

The server is hosted on VM with following specs:

CPU: E5-2699 v3 @ 2.3GHz (4 Processors)

RAM: 24GB (out of which 8GB are allocated on the JIRA Java process)

The strange thing is that it works super fast on some pages, but on some JSPA pages and log on page it takes long time.

Regards,

Chedomir

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Dear Chedomir,

Alright; First of all I will post the JIRA sizing tips here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html

Are you getting any Java errors back in your logging? If not.. then I would suggest reading through the following documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/crashes-and-performance-issues-troubleshooting-203394749.html

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

There are no Java errors in the log files, and that makes things even more stranger.

I personally do not think that the system is not sized proerly as it worked perfectly well before the project import - so I assume that it is related to it.

Can you maybe give me some additional information on what to investigate?

Thanks,

Chedomir

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2017

Dear Chedomir,

What OS does the environment run on? Also, do you have a Virus Scanner on the server? The expierence with Windows Servers is that they are considerably slower whilst running JIRA for example than a Unix based OS.

Also; Have you already restarted JIRA? This will clean up alot of processes.

We can continue to pinpoint the problem ofcourse, I will be active here for you.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chedomir Dimitrovski July 12, 2017

Hi Jeremy,

To answer your questions first...

JIRA is running on Windows Server 2012 R2 with a virus scanner available, but as I said, this configuration worked perfectly well before the project import.

The JRIA service was restarted 2 times and also the whole server was restarted once - it did not help at all.

However, after spending more than 8 hours on troubleshooting this strange issue, I tried to refresh the JIRA system by creating a XML backup and restoring it on the same server. At first, it seemed very illogical to do that, but at the end it fixed the slowness on the JIRA and it now works perfectly well - as it worked previosly.

Anyways, thanks for your prompthess and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chedomir

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2017

Dear Chedomir,

Quite a handy fix indeed! Maybe the newer imported data did not go well with the database indexes. It is true that when you commit to an XML import there are elements in the database that are completely re-written.. removing the old.. maybe incorrect indexes.

Thank you for sharing this solution, Chedomir.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Suggest an answer