JIRA upgrade in azure test environment

Deleted user September 6, 2018

Hi 

We are hosted our JIRA applications (JIRA/Confluence/Bitbucket) in azure. its all running in old versions. We want split in to four instances JIRA/Confluence/Bitbucket and Database and test the upgrade with latest version. 

Is there anybody gone through this. i am totally new with these things. 

i am looking for a guide and upgrade path. 

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2018

Hi @[deleted], 

I am actually running Jira and Confluence on Azure VM and Azure DB, it's all working well so far.

To do the migration on new servers, you can follow this guide for Jira and this one for Confluence.

A few things to keep in mind:

• Do your data migration to the new server first, and upgrade after, don't try to do it all at the same time
  • Be sure to check the upgrade path after your migration: if your application version is very old, you might have to do intermediate upgrades

Let me know if you have any questions, 

--Alexis

Deleted user September 6, 2018

Hi @Alexis Robert

Thanks for the quick response. We dont want to disturb our production environment now. so we want to create test enivronemt with new 4 instances, migrate data and upgrade to latests version and check for the result. if it all goes fine. then we want do the same for production. how possible is this?

currently our application running in following version

JIRA - v7.1.9#71013-sha1:1aa0586

Bitbucket - Atlassian Bitbucket v4.1.0

Confluence - Atlassian Confluence 5.9.3

JIRA Software - 7.1.10

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2018

@[deleted], 

you could start by doing a database dump from your production instance and import it in your new database.

Then, create 4 new VMs and copy the application folder for each as well as the home directory. You will need at this point to edit the configuration file for Jira/Bitbucket/confluence to point to your new database so that it doesn't disturb your production environment.

If all goes well and you can start the apps, you will then be able to do the next step: upgrade to the latest version.

If everything is going well, you will then simply need to repeat these steps for production.

Deleted user September 24, 2018

Hi @Alexis Robert

Hope you are doing good. 

Now i am stuck with few things. since new to all these.

I have moved the database to test env. and copied all the application folders and home directory to new VMs. just blank now how to start from here. 

How to install all the application back in current production version.  Tried things to change the Database things. but dont know how to run the applications. Your help will be appreciated much. 

Thanks in advance.

Muthu

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2018

Hi @[deleted], 

you simply need to start the application on your new server just like you would on the old one, with an init script (something like "service jira start") or the binary (look in <atlassian-jira-xxx>/bin/ for the start-jira.sh script).

This page explains how to perform an instance migration in case you need more information.

Let me know if it helps, 

--Alexis

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events