JIRA dashboard to show specific time tracking data

Clive Cartlidge November 4, 2019

Hello!  I'm interested in building a small JIRA dashboard to display metrics around user story estimate efficiency. This is not an effort to grade developers or "burn" people for poor estimates, more just to see how good we are at estimating and whether we get better over time.

So, simply using the metrics that we collect in JIRA: 

* Original Estimate

* Remaining Estimate 

* Time Logged

I'm thinking about the BEST way to report the following data for a specific Release/fixVersion outside of the VERY basic stock Time Tracking Report:

- average size/effort of defect in release = (total time logged in release/# defects in release)

- overall release estimate efficiency = (total time logged in release/total of original estimates in release)

- specific user story estimate efficiency = (total time logged to a specific US/original estimate for that specific US)

Is there a best practices way to present the above (assuming all data is input correctly) and display it within JIRA dashboard? 

I'd like it to be as simple as possible, as I am hoping to avoid exporting data into Excel (although I will do this if there is not an elegant solution).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,

Clive

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2019

Hello Clive,

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, JIRA does not have a dashboard gadget that sums the values of specific fields, like time spent or original estimate upon a release. It would be necessary to display the sum of those values to display the three reports you are looking for.

Since we understand this would be a useful feature, we created a feature request to add this kind of functionality:

Make it possible to summarize Story Points, and other custom fields, in Two Dimensional Gadget or other statistics view 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

That being said, there are some apps that you can use to achieve this goal:

Sum-up for JIRA 

Timesheet Reports and Gadgets 

Any of the apps above provide you with some Gadgets that you can create upon a JQL filter configured to return your release. Those gadgets can display the sum of the issues, Original estimate and Time Spent, or even the same details for each issue or user in your release.

Also, they are completely customizable, so you can hide or display columns (fields) as you want:

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 17.37.19.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-05 at 17.37.37.png

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer