JIRA crashes due to the large log

yunfeng guo October 27, 2013

Our JIRA crashed due to a 150G log(it increased in one day). Then we analyze the log file and found something weird:

I want to know where are those log from. WHY i cannot see the class name like the normal log in JIRA log file?

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2013

Did you activate some extra logging? This looks like a dump from the Database.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2013

That's almost certainly a debug output in some code. Probably written into a plugin. If you use "system.out.println" then this is the sort of output you get.

I'd start by looking at what plugins you have installed or updated on the day the crash happened. Use the plugin audit log to find any likely culprits.

Also, in the long run, you should really use log rotation.

yunfeng guo October 28, 2013

Thanks, Nic. Log rotation is really a good idea. Could you tell me how to configure it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2013

What Operating System is the server on?

Actually, I can't really give you much on this. I'm only familiar with logrotate on Unix machines for a start, so I'd refer you to google if you're on Windows. For logrotate on Unix, there's loads of documentation for it on the web too, much better written than anything I'd write for you.

yunfeng guo October 29, 2013

Ok, you mean that you use script to rotate it rather change some configuration directly in JIRA, right?

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

Yes, logrotate is std unix http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/logrotate8.html

But in your case, you can configure log4j to use RollingFileAppender (who changed that ?)

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html

Anyway, see first what is filling your log

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events