JIRA User Directory's after upgrade

JDeLong February 14, 2012

After reading about the implementation of User Directories in JIRA after version 4.3 I decided to upgrade a sandbox I had running tp give it a shot. The sandbox was running 4.2.1 with External user management OFF and External password management ON, using OSUser pointing to an LDAP (Oracle Internet Directory) instance. After moving up to 4.4.4 I noticed it split the userbase up randomly, about a 1/4 of them got dropped into JIRA Internal Directory and the other 2/3 into JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory. I cant seem to see any reasoning for the split...any ideas on that? The main reason I am asking is because without noticing this I went and also did a read only sync with a different LDAP (Active Directory) instance (the main goal of the exercise) and now the CWD_USER table is a hot mess. Is there anyway to move users between Directorys gracefully? Is there a better way to go about this? Thanks in advance for any help provided!

1 answer

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2012

It will put them in the internal directory if it can't find them in LDAP, using the parameters defined in your osuser.xml. Does that account for the 1/4?

The only way to move users between directories at the moment appears to be with using the API, or db hacking.

Also you seem to have a missing twelth...

JDeLong February 14, 2012

Any chance that DB hacking is documented anywhere? Sorry about the math on that one...I am fried and it is only Wednesday.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2012

I don't think it is, but there was a question about this previously here. If you have a look at cwd_user table it might be obvious. You could try atlassian support...

Devu Heda
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2012

Update the user in cwd_users and cwd_user_attributes to point to the right directory but this requires a JIRA restart ...

Is there a way to avoid JIRA? If anyone can help answer that part of the question would be great

Suggest an answer