JIRA - Receiving error on Create related to a Select list

Bill Davis February 8, 2012

I have created dozens of custom fields and suddenly when I create a new custom field for a project and added values to it, I am getting the following message when trying to create a new JIRA.

Invalid value 'Transcentive Express Options-Product' passed for customfield 'Department Requesting Communication'. Allowed values are: Finance, HR, Managing Directors, PSG, Reconciliation, Sales and Marketing, Transcentive Express Options–Product, Shareworks - Product, -1

The error only appears on some of the issues but not all of them, is there anything that I am missing to avoid this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Davis February 8, 2012

Thanks Nic, yes it's a Single Select field as provided through the base JIRA install.

I think I may need to re-index to double check the data issues as it's nothing else that I can find that would cause this type of error.

I'll post again once the indexing has been checked off.

Bill Davis February 12, 2012

I tried again this morning to re-create the custom field and when I did I removed the "-" from the descriptions and used brackets to identify the options in the select list.

This works, closing the issue as I'm moving on, but this may be something you fix as it seems to not like the dashes in some cases.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2012

What type of field is "department requesting communication"? Select list?

Edit - Ok, I'm being dumb again, I only read the description. I think it would be useful to confirm that it's a select list - I ask because I once spent hours trying to debug a problem with a "select list", when the chap actually meant "it's a plugin I wrote that looks like a select list, but actually is something I wrote based on a select list". Generally, I think the question is "is there anything special about this select list".

Anyway, it sounds odd to me - like you've got data on issues that the select list no-longer thinks of as an option. With a standard select list, if you kill off an option, it strips that off all the issues it's on too, so it sounds like the delete has happened without the stripping, but I'm not sure what could cause that.

Bill Davis February 11, 2012

Hi Nic, adding another post here as I ran the indexing today and when I try to create the issue with this option, the same error appears. I also ran the integrity checks to see if that caught anything...to which is did not.

I even tried to create a new custom field as a select list to see if it was just this specific custom field that was causing issues and it did the same thing.

Any other ideas on items to check? I may create a support ticket with Altassian to see if they have any advice.

Suggest an answer