JIRA REST API for Comment ADD , NotifyUser paramater not available?

steven chesser October 26, 2017

Still pretty new to the JIRA REST API.

JIRA  v7.3.8 is what I am up against currently.

I can do a Comment ADD but it appears NotifyUser parameter is NOT available.

It would really be nice to insert a comment and not have emails sent around as in my case sometimes a comment needs inserted for sake of things and no need to send out emails for it. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2017

You are correct in that the REST call for adding a comment does not have any such notifyuser parameter.   But it is not expected to have this.  The notifications for a project are determined by the notification scheme that project is using.   Currently Jira does not have a means selectively notify users on a comment by comment basis.

If the notification scheme is setup to notify all watchers, the reporter, and assignee for each comment made, then it's going to do that whether the comment is made in the web UI of Jira or via a REST call.   You could certainly modify the notification scheme in order to change which users are getting notified of every comment.

steven chesser October 27, 2017

I think its setup to notify everyone. I am pretty sure of this.

I don't have control of anything server/project setup side/ect. Zero. I am just a user. 

In one example, for long time now, when bulk logs gets released to QA a comment is put in. Comment says the version # QA
Example

79.13.0.1 QA

Simple... Reason is anyone can easily and instantly tell at what day/time the logs got released down the road.  Helps weed out anyone that claims something is missing. Or lost. Or not on a build cause someone fat fingered. (Yes i put the version # in fix version too but stuff happens....) Or weed out people who snuck in a log 2 hours later and released it to QA themselves. I can tell by the missing comment.. and the time stamp is off from the rest.  Or someone puts there comments of what they did on the log AFTER I already released everything to QA. Its a good tattle tale. Really it is :)

Not the best probably, but you'd be surprised how many times that that something that simple has worked out in my favor over the years. 

People don't need informed the comment got there.... it just needs to be there. 

Just seemed odd a few actions have NotifyUsers while a lot don't.

Maybe just my lack of understanding what guide lines constitute the ability to not nag people with emails on some actions while other actions its a 100% must.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2017

The project has been set up to notify people on comments.  That's it, as Andrew says, there's no conditional on it (there are improvement requests logged to ask for conditionals), and Jira doesn't care how the comment is made.  Someone adds a comment, the project emails people about it because it's been told to.

steven chesser October 28, 2017

I get that it emails and just does it depending on the project settings. 

I am just saying it would be nice if was eventually possible one day to set it up so you can OPTIONALLY <key word here> to not trigger emails to fire out. And not be a setup where it always does, or always does not. 

Nothing more.. nothing less. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

Hi Steven,

There are a couple of different existing feature requests for Jira that I think might encompass what you are looking for:

Either one of these, if implemented in Jira, could provide some level of granular control over when notifications would go out in Jira.  However at the moment, there is not a way to selectively send out notifications for actions.  The current work-around for this would be to change the notification scheme on the project prior to executing the actions in place, and then revert that notification scheme the project is using after this has been completed.  I understand this isn't really a great workaround, but I would recommend watching and voting on those issues, and perhaps leave a comment on those.

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events