JIRA Project Permissions

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2017

Hello Atlassian Community...

I've recently decided that I was to set up project permissions so that 2 separate groups have separate permissions within JIRA. Here is my situation:

1. Group 1 = development-users
  2. Group 2 = non-development-users

Lets say I have 2 projects:

1. Project A
  2. Project B

I want Group 1 to have access to Project A but not to Project B and, on the other side, I want Group 2 to have access to Project B but not to Project A. I've read all the Atlassian documentation and I cannot figure out how to achive this within the system. I've tried to set both groups up with separate permission schemes but that is not effective, even when I set permission schemes and associate them with separate projects, all users can browse into each project.

Any advice would be great...

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2017

Hi Thomas,

The best way to do this would be to have one Permission Scheme that does not directly reference the groups. The permission scheme should reference the Project Roles, such as Users and Developers.

Then, in each of your projects, set the appropriate group as a member of the right roles for the permission scheme.

-Josh

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2017

In the permission scheme(s), how do you have the "Browse Project" permission configured? Somehow, it appears all of the users in both groups are granted that permission through your configured permission scheme(s).

Personally, I like to base my permission schemes on project roles, then assign user groups to those project roles to control access/visibility to each project.

1 vote
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2017

Use two Permission Schemes, one for Project A as

Permission Scheme A -->set all permissions for AD group "Group 1" on Project A

Permission Scheme B -->set all permissions for AD group "Group 2" on Project B

Hope this helps

Chander

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2017

Project roles are a better approach

0 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2017

This was all very helpful, it took me a couple tries and I had to setup a test account, but it works! Thank you!

Suggest an answer