JIRA + PostgreSQL 11.2

Coco _El mejor_ April 30, 2019

Last week, I made a mistake updating my database (PostgreSQL 9.3) to the newest version ( PostgreSQL 11.2) 

I have applications that use the last version, so I decided to update. I didn´t check that atlassian only supports up to PostgreSQL 9.6.

My problem is that there is important information in the newest database that I can´t lost. So, I have 3 questions:

What is the problem of using a database that seems to be not supported by atlassian? 

Anyone knows how can I import database to an older version of postgreSQL? 

Thanks!

Agustín.-

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2019

Hi Agustin,

Good questions, and when it comes to using the database on an unsupported version per the Supported Platforms, is that first off the application is not tested on this version or Designed with the database version in mind and the newer database version will have features and functionality that the Jira application cannot interface with,  if the application tries to use one of theres features or a function that it expects to exist no longer exists or has been modified is called a conflict will occur, but as no testing or QA exists yet on the newer DB version there is no information as to what error may even occur.  

As there is no testing verified for the platform it comes down to a gamble with your data, where the application running on an incompatible DB may work fine and never run into a conflict with the newer capabilities of the database so you could be fine, however if the application does run a process that is not compatible with a feature of the DB and a conflict occurs you can encounter irrecoverable data corruption, so when it comes to data integrity Always go with the supported platform.

To get the data back to the supported DB the best process is to do the following, which is basically a streamlined/modified version of the Switching databases documentation.   NOTE: as I am not sure what version of jira you are on all the following Links are for the latest Jira 8.1 versions of the documentation so make sure to select the document version for a matching version of Jira in the upper right corner of the docs so your looking at the correct version for your application:

1. Select a database type/version from our Supported Platforms
  2. Create a new blank database per Connecting JIRA to a database, (paying close attention to the correct collation and drivers for that database type)
  3. Gather an XML backup of your JIRA instance.
    1. Even if you encounter an error or can't start Jira, you can still find a recent one of these backups in the filesystem of the JIRA server. By default this is saved in <jira-home>/export/ folder
  4. Stop JIRA
  5. Run the JIRA Configuration tool to tell JIRA to use the new blank database, and save these changes,
    1. if you can't run this, then you can just directly edit the <jira-home>/dbconfig.xml file to make these changes and point to the new empty DB
  6. Start JIRA up again (when JIRA starts with an empty database, it automatically launches the setup wizard)
  7. Copy the export XML zip file from <jira-home>/export/ into <jira-home>/import/
  8. Then you can import the backup using the 'Import your data' link in the setup wizard

By following these steps you can then import your previous data into a supported database with the correct database version setup.

Regards,
Earl

Coco _El mejor_ May 2, 2019

´Thank you! i´ll try it.

Regards,

Agustin.-

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
0 votes
Rodrigo Cortez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2019

Atlassian will start working on adding PostgreSQL 10 support for Jira Server in the near future and will be reflecting the status on JRASERVER-65910.

Please join there, vote for it and set yourself as a watcher.  You'll receive an update there on our progress going forward.

We've also planned adding support for PostgreSQL 11. See JRASERVER-68578 for updates.

Suggest an answer