JIRA Group permission query

Marcin Beczynski December 3, 2015

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for query for JIRA databse what will print a project permission requested JIRA user group 

thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2015

There is a KB article that has a basic query that you can use as a starting point here.  This will list Project Permissions for a Group or User.  As Nic said, it is not comphrensive in terms of what users can and cannot do throughout the entire Project, but t will tell you what Project Permissions are being used:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=790630266

Also, for reference:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-permissions-185729636.html

Marcin Beczynski December 6, 2015

Thanks that should be enough, and good base for extend this query.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2015

There is not a simple way to do this.  As a member of a group, I could have a project permission granted to me because:

• The permission scheme uses the group
  • The permission scheme uses a role and that group is placed in the role
  • The permission scheme uses a custom field and the group might be named in that field which can be "fun" because it means you have to read every issue in the project, and it could be out of date on the next issue update.
  • The workflow may also grant transition rights in the same ways as the permission scheme.
  • And there's security schemes

Bascially, you'll need to write a whole load of queries and merge the results.  May I ask what the overall goal is here?

Marcin Beczynski December 3, 2015

I would like to get know where exactly specific group had access at JIRA and print that info at confluence using PocketQuery plugin, struggling with this query already few days sad

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2015

That's a very complex task you've set yourself. The SQL for getting it out as a single query is far too complex and includes the need to parse xml while you're at it if you want a proper accurate answer to "who can do what in my project". I'd go back to your users and ask why they need this and tell them that it's a small project that they're going to have to fund if they want it.

Suggest an answer