JIRA Automation plugin doesn't seem to update the issue status

Franky Deleu December 4, 2014

I use JIRA in a SERVER environment.

I installed the JIRA Automation Plugin.

I have following issue types in use: OPEN, IN PROGRESS, CLOSED.

I want - when a user starts entering work log, that the status automatically change from status OPEN to status IN PROGRESS.

I created a new rule in the JIRA Automation plugin, however the status doesn't change when I enter working times. The rule is active and the audit log of the JIRA Automation plugin shows the (correct) execution of the plugin and that the trigger has fired, but the issue status doesn't seem to change.

I use a 'Issue Event Trigger' and listen to following events: ISSUE WORKLOG UPDATED, WORK LOGGED ON ISSUE and WORK STARTED ON ISSUE.

Can someone advise or has an alternative? Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Manish Arya July 29, 2015

HI ,

I have installed JIRA Automation Plugin.

Can you please tell me how to AutoClose an issue, if its in resolved status for last 3 days ?

Just wanted to Close the Issues that are currently in Resolved Status for a particular project ?

Regards,

Raj

0 votes
Susan Krieger January 28, 2015

Actually, I have the same problem. However under the hood, the status is changed... (If I search for the new status it can be found), if I look into the transition tab, I can see that the status is changed, If I check the audit log of the automation plugin it is changed. 

However if I check the status of the issue, it displays the OLD status. 

Any idea anyone?

Sujit Kumar June 8, 2016

@Susan Krieger : I am facing the same issue as that of you... Did you figure out the fix for the same ???
Kindly share your thoughts on fixing it if you fixed it...

Thanks,

SujitKumar

Matt Parks October 24, 2017

I have a similar issue. I have an automation rule that changes the Assignee based on a workflow transition and adds a comment. However, when the rule executes, it doesn't appear that anything has changed (although the rule executes successfully).

When I manually refresh the issue, then I see the new assignee and the comment is added. Even if I add the 'Refresh Issue' component within the automation rule, the behavior is the same. I only see the updates if I refresh the issue in some way (either by refreshing the page or updating the issue).

How can I get the issue to refresh and show the automation changes immediately after the automation rule is triggered?

Kelley Mills October 29, 2020

At the end of your rule, try adding New Action, Re-fetch issue data, which appears under the Advanced items in the New Action list. The instructions in the Jira Automation Plug-in Play read :

If you need the latest state of an issue in subsequent actions in this rule you can use this action to re-fetch the issue. This action does not reload the issue in the browser for end-users.

Here's an example of an automation rule that would require a re-fetch action:

• Trigger: Manual trigger
  • Action: Assign issue
  • Action: Re-fetch issue data
  • Action: Send an e-mail to the assignee

Without the 'Re-fetch' action, the e-mail would be sent to the original assignee before it was updated. 'Re-fetch' ensures the e-mail will be sent to the new assignee set by the first action.

This action requires no configuration.

0 votes
Simon Kegel //SEIBERT/MEDIA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

Hey there,

I'm not familiar with the event trigger - but I think if you mark multiple events the AND wants every done.
you could use the JQL trigger.
Search for tickets in status open with work logged and transition them in progress and set intervall to 2min f.e.

JQL Status = open and timespent >= 0m 
Transition id X
cron 0 0/2 * * * ? * 

Did a full automation SD these days and got no problem at all, even linkedissue functions and their values are searchable and work perfect. 

Hope this help you

Greets
Simon 

Suggest an answer