JIRA 6.0 to 7.0 (migration, not upgrade)

Thomas O'Connell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 24, 2016

We have a 6.0 server, we want to test 7.x (30-day trial, or a cheap 10-user instance, or even the cloud edition) with the project data first before bringing all the projects over.

So effectively this is a attempt to migrate from 6.0 to our 7.x test setup.   I was hoping doing a xml backup from 6.0 and Import into 7.x would work, doesn't.  So what is the right steps to do this without touching the original 6.0 server as we can't impact all the projects running over there; trying to provide them a way to see their own projects as manifest in the new version first to get the buy in.

The other hangup here is i am ok to install a 6.0, import projects, and upgrade to 7.0 but not sure how to get a 6.0 test instance anymore (i.e., either test instance or buy a 10 user license key for the old version) since all the trial stuff is the new stuff.

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016
  1. Follow this guide to create a staging clone of your production server https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/establishing-staging-server-environments-for-jira-285839559.html
  2. Test the upgrade on the staging server - you can use evaluation license for the test
  3. Once you're happy with the upgrade buy a commercial license and upgrade production
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2016

Also, if your 6.0 server is fully commercially licenced, you have access to a "development licence".  You can use that on your staging server instead of an evaluation (it gives you complete access without evaluation nagging and expires when your commercial licence expires, rather than in the month an evaluation lasts)

Suggest an answer