JIRA 5.x mail servers - incoming mail - Exchange alias support

Chad Larkin December 4, 2012

In 4.1.2, we were able to use aliases in exchange to differentiate incoming mail by setting up services where the catch email looked like this:

catchemail='alternateemail@exchange.my'

Now, in 5.x we can no longer create incoming mail servers using alias of this type. Is there a way around this issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chad Larkin May 13, 2013

Well as our company is moving away from exchange and into Gmail, I have found that the catchemail setting works as expected with it. So we now have one listener pointed at one email box in Gmail, but it have MANY aliases and the catchemail works as expected to pull the correct emails to the appropriate projects.

0 votes
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2012

Hi Chad,

I'm not sure I understood the problem.

Are you getting any errors trying to put the catch email address?

Have you tried it without the quotes?

Hope this helps,

Marcus

Chad Larkin December 30, 2012

In JIRA 5.x it will not allow the catchmail address above to be saved in either format:

'alternateemail@exchange.my' or "alternateemail@exchange.my"

However, it will save without the quotes but it fails to collect the correct emails from the Exchange server because the To: address is actually "alternateemail@exchange.my" (the alias).

In the end, we ended up splitting out all the aliases into their own separate email addresses, i.e. we took the alias "alternateemail@exchange.my" for the account Jira@exchange.my and made an actual account alternateemail@exchange.my on exchange. Then we set up servers for each account.

This is less efficient than in JIRA 4.2 where I was able to have one server for the single exchange account and then change the catch email for each Mail handler to an alias and use the one server to pull out the different emails into different projects.

Suggest an answer