JEMH: Addressing the real 'issue creator' by name

Adil Wali
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 30, 2013

Hi there! I've been playing around with JEMH for a day or so now, and I really like the way it works. Super powerful stuff.

Question #1: I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to utilize the 'Real Name' of the non-JIRA person who created the ticket via sending in an email. I'll illustrate with a simple visual:

As I understand it, the 'custom field' used to store non-jira users will store a comma-delimited string of all users. (Even for the custom field for names, I think?) So, I'm not sure how to reference just the name of the non-JIRA submitter in the template itself.

Question #2: I would also like to send a separate/different email to the non-jira creator of the issue with a message such as, "Thanks for sending in the ticket. We received it." (This would be a separate email that would be sent instead of the standard 'issue created' email as shown above.) I would expect the default 'issue created' template to be sent to any non-JIRA users that are cc'd, though. (Just not the original sender.) Is this possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2013

Responding to the question:

Q1

If you are supporting non-JIRA email only users, the JIRA persona can only be the default user and will not reflect any details from the remote user.

But. JEMH can also support a different variant of 'non-JIRA' user, one that has an account (an identity in JIRA) but does not have interactive login usage. This requires JEMH to be setup for auto user creation, during which, if a new email senders address happens to contain the 'personal' component, will also be used in the JIRA identity. With JIRA users, you will have to ensure correct JIRA security for such users in the target projects, usually through the auto-join group (defined in the Users section also). The thing to remember here though, is that such users are then 'JIRA' users and the Event Listener needs to reflect this as it caters for email 'non-jira users' and 'jira-users'. For added awesomeness, you can switch the handling from an Event Listener Project Mapping from the 'jira-users' case based on some specific rules such as group membership, meaning that a JEM created user as a member of group X could be then redirected to be notified according to the enabled events in the non-JIRA user notification screen of that Project Mapping. I hope that fills the blanks!

Q2

You have options, you shoudl have a cusotm event defined, and an Issue Event template set based on ISSUE_CREATED, then you will have a template that you can send back to the user on issue created. But, some people dont like being notified of their actions, email users included, so its common for the Project Mapping 'filter sender' option to be enabled, but that includes all such notifications. There is however another way, the Profile still supports an older Notification mechanism that can be used for exactly this purpose. To use it, create a new ISSUE_CREATED TemplateSet, and customize the content as you want (TEXT or HTML depending on what format you define). This template is then selected in the Email > Templates > Issue Created TemplateSet field. Then enable the Notifications > notify users. The 'type' will probably be ALL if you do the user creation thing as above.

Adil Wali
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 1, 2014

Thanks very much for this answer. I'm going to work through testing some of the scenarios you offered now. I'll followup as I have more questions!

1 vote
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2013

Hi Adil

For faster and more appropriate response, perhaps you can try to check with the JEMH plugin vendor directly regarding on your questions and queries:

Vendor: The Plugin People

Address:

34 Bardsey Close

Royal Wootton Bassett

Swindon Wiltshire SN48NA

United Kingdom

Email: andy@thepluginpeople.com

Contact number: +44 791 4683169

Vendor homepage: https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2013

Uh, posting company address generally doesnt help with support queries. Given this post is only 5 hours old, please at least give vendors a chance to respond before adding such stuff!

darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2013

Hey Andy

Sorry about that, yup will take note on that ;)

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2013

Also, when posting, it would be super helpful to link the actual JIRA Project page rather than the generic ondemand site, given its plugin specific :D

Suggest an answer