Is there an aws cloudformation jira template for mysql database?

Timothy Johnson November 16, 2018

Is there an aws cloudformation jira template for mysql database?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2018

I don't know of any official support for an Atlassian made cloudformation template to use MySQL.  However it appears that other users have requested this before.   I found a link that might be helpful here https://github.com/thinegan/cloudformation-jira

Although I admit I have not used that formation template, so perhaps use at your own risk.  But that said, I believe this user has posted their own formation template that uses mysql instead of postgresql.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2018

Following up on Andrew's research, you can also take Atlassian's CloudFormation template and modify it to use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL.

We only officially provide support for the CloudFormation template with PostgreSQL. However, you can take that template and modify it with the CloudFormation Designer to use the database of your choice. I would recommend saving the YAML file at that point however to add to your own local source control (Bitbucket is a great option). By default there's no version control with CloudFormation templates in the AWS interface - if you make any changes and need to revert, the only thing to save you would be version control you've set up on your own.

Cheers,
Daniel

Timothy Johnson November 21, 2018

Thanks for the response.

I made changes to the driver and to ATL_JDBC_DRIVER and ATL_JDBC_URL section in the template, however i do not not get the jira url site to import the database nor the path to the dbconfig "/var/atlassian/application-data/jira" in the ec2.

Unlike the orginal Jira postgresql cloudformation template for aws i do get a site url to import the our mysql datebase and also the path to the dbconfig "/var/atlassian/application-data/jira" in the ec2. 

Below are the changes i make to the template before creating the stack.

"ATL_JDBC_DRIVER=com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver" 

ATL_JDBC_URL"<url>jdbc:mysql://dbserver:3306/jiradb?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF8&sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>"

Thanks

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2019

Hi!

I stumbled upon the same. Figured out that <schema> was written to the dbconfig.xml using ATL_JDBC*. Removing schema resolved the issue and jira was pupulated successfully. 

Cheers,

Lars

Colossean
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 18, 2022

Hey @Daniel Eads @Andy Heinzer  Can someone from Atlassian suggest what to change in Atlassians Data Center template to make this work with MySQL, MS SQL and Oracle?

I had to guess that the changes and the stack won't build. Trial and error isn't really working.

While trying to certify a Data Center app, I tested on Postgres like the instructions say. But after passing all the tests, they want me to test on 3 more databases.

I need to know what to change in the yaml template so that it will work.

I changed the 'DBEngine', 'DBEngineVersion'. That wasn't enough apparently as the stack fails to build.

Suggest an answer