Is there a way to send a single summary e-mail after a group of actions has been completed in JIRA?

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2011

I'm not sure how this would be possible, as I think it may require some re-writing of the notifications in JIRA.

However I'm finding my users are getting too many e-mails to handle the notifications from JIRA effectively. It would be useful to send a summary e-mail to the user after a set of actions has been completed to notify them that these items have changed in a certain way.

i.e in one e-mail the body would contain

JIRA-01 - Summary changed was: This Is The Title now: The New Title

JIRA-02 - Component changed was: Flange now: Sprocket

JIRA-56 - Assignee changed was: Bob Hope now: Randy Crawford

4 answers

2 votes
Leandro Nunes June 1, 2011

Steve,

I believe the cheapest solution is a customization in the mail body. These are the files:

• JIRA_INSTALL\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\text
    For HTML format:
  • JIRA_INSTALL\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html

This document is a how to that will help you. The velocity context deploy a bunch of functions you should use: here is the list of them.

Also, consider to contact an Atlassian Partner, they are able to perform almost any customization.

In hope it helps,

Leandro

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2011

By this you cannot reduce the number of notifications I would think? We can only customize the content by modifying the templates.

I guess Steve wants to reduce the number of notifications as well - i.e. group multiple notifications in to a single one.

2 votes
Akeles
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2011

The alternative is to define a filter and set up an hourly email subscription.

That will batch up all the emails into a single email report.

2 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 1, 2011

Did you try jdigest ?
https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/19656

It's a commercial plugin but it allows to summarize notifications.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2011

If you are making all these changes in a single update, you will receive only a single mail. But if you are making these changes as different updates then yes, JIRA is going to fill your inbox with the individual changes.

A possible approach could be to accomodate all the changes over a small period of time and then notify once instead of notifying for every single update. I am also guessing it will require pretty big re-writing of the notifications in JIRA.

Suggest an answer